Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All three of my cats were treated with advantage this week. I have treatments for all of them next month. They are all indoor cats, but with the puppy in the house now I worry that he may bring fleas in with him.

When I lived in Michigan my vet told me that fleas were dormant during the winter months. Now that I am living in Flordia I have a question. Are fleas ever dormant? Do you treat year round in warm climates?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Where I live, we treat year round. It stays just warm enough here in the winter for fleas to still be a problem :roll:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhhh! That is what I was thinking too. So do you just treat every month huh? Do they build up some kind of resistance to it or something?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yeah, we treat them every single month :roll: Actually, we only treat the dog year-round (since the cats are indoor only), and we treat the cats in the summer only....but our dog barely even goes out. He only goes on his leash and doesn't go in any bushes or anything, but he STILL manages to get them once in a while (usually in the hotter months). My cats have never actually gotten them, but I want to keep it that way!! Oh, one of my aunts lived in Florida for awhile, and she said the fleas were horrendous out there....so I'm just warning you!! :? :roll: I really don't think you will have any problems if you put your puppy on advantage (or frontline, whatever) If your cats stay inside, as long as the puppy doesn't get em, you should be fine :D

As far as building up a resistance, are you referring to a resistance to the flea medicine, or to the fleas? (sorry, I'm really tired :oops: )

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking to the flea medication, but then I realized it is actually medicine (drug) for the flea, not for the animals...duh!!!! I think I was tired too.

The puppy is on advantage and will stay on it!! I'm not sure what I will do about the cats. Since I just did the application and I have next months, I have a little while to think about it.

Although my cats are all indoor cats, they managed to get fleas when I was in Michigan. I never figured out how it happened. I figure a flea must have got inside some how. It was almost 2 years ago and I still remember the misery!!! I DON'T ever want to go through that hassle again! I don't think they do either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my cat

My cat likes to go outdoors, but since he has no front claws (he came that way, someone else declawed him, I think that it's really rude to declaw cats) anyway since he has no front claws we ususally keep him inside because I live on a mountain and there could be mountain lions, or dogs that could try to hurt him and he wouldn't be able to save himself. Anyway my cat doesn't have fleas, and I didn't really know that cats got fleas that much, it's mostley dogs isn't it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts