Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow we ended up with fleas. Had to pick some up from the yard on shoes and track them in. Neighbors have a pack of dogs that are crawling with fleas. I've sprayed the yard with flea killer every week until a few weeks ago. I guess I should have kept it up. And now it is too wet to bother spraying.
I got 3 cats bathed & debugged but Puddy & Sassquatch decided to be noncompliant & levitate when I tried to get them in the sink. Puddy grew an extra set of legs & clung to the edges of the sink so determinedly I couldn't get his butt in the water. Sassquatch actually got his hind feet wet before he got away & ran screaming thru the house. Big sissy, it's not like he was going to melt. So now have to wait until the yearly vet check-up on Friday to get advantage or what ever brand of drops they are using this year.
:crying So my daily routine is expanded to wash our bedding everyday since they all insist on sleeping in our bed. Spray all carpeting in the morning & vacuum in the afternoon. Wash all the cat beds daily. What a lot of work!

·
Registered
978 Posts
You can buy Advantage II and Frontline Plus over the counter at even Walmart now. I use both depending on what I have available and it works for me. Some people say they've became immune to it but I don't have any issues with it. Perhaps it depends on the location. Truthfully, Walmart probably sells it for less than your vets office. Markup is insane at most offices.

I've stuck with these because they seem to have lower rates of adverse effects and they work for me.

I'm sure glad my cat likes water...

·
Banned
603 Posts
It took my daughter and I both to bathe Mia and Mac a couple weeks ago when we were fighting fleas. I used Frontline Plus first, flea combed daily, washed everything that could be washed and vacumed everything (Floors and furniture) over and over again. Two weeks later they still had a few on them (by the way they are indoor only). Thats when my daughter and I bathed them in Dawn Dish Soap. A couple days later and I stll found 2 on Mia and 1 on Mac. I called the vet and he told me they have good results from comfortis. The pills were $10 each. I have been flea combing daily since because anytime they scratch I'm paranoid the fleas are back. They have already been combed today and no fleas!!!!! I'm hoping we have beat this. Still cleaning a lot though! Oh, I also used Enforcer Flea Spray for Carpets and Furniture too (1 1/2 weeks ago). Got it at Wal-Mart. Can be used on their pet beds too. You just have to leave the house until its totally dry (took about 1 hour). You dont have to re-vacume furniture after (I did though, floors too). It was only $5.47 for a can and I still have some left (I live in a one bedroom apartment though).

It takes alot of diligent work and some time but it will get under control. Took about a month for me and the cats.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had an issue with fleas in the past and the thing that helped the most was vacuuming. I vacuumed multiple times a day (once the animals were treated). Also be sure to check your flea preventative. I know it used to be that you couldn't bathe your animals for a few days before or after treatment as it interfered with the absorption of the medicine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy Hartz flea killer. It's basically poison and can hurt your cats. Just a heads up!

·
Banned
603 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy Hartz flea killer. It's basically poison and can hurt your cats. Just a heads up!
I used this a few years ago and my cats were sick (very sick) for a few days. They got sick within a half hour after I put it on them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
House is being flea bombed this afternoon while we are at the vet. Methos reacts very badly to advantage & frontline. So will wait til the vet is standing by for more than Dawn shampoos. Didn't have any luck so far getting Puddy or Sasquatch bathed. Strangulation flitted thru my mind when somebody did a power launch off my back. Gotta make a note to pick up a new kitchen curtain rod & replace the shredded shower curtain. Thanks Sasquatch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts