Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I've not had any experience with fleas since these are my first two cats. Tuffy has been on revolution since old enough and never had fleas --

I posted the other day about dirt where Satin has been sleeping - I freaked out thinking that it HAD to be flea droppings. But when I made the flakes wet they did not turn reddish brown as flea droppings are supposed to. And from what I read online flea dirt should look like pepper - I'm assuming that means very small peices right? The dirt in her bed was larger - definately not pepper size.

Does anyone here have experience with flea dirt? Is it always small or can it be larger?

I can't examine Satin as she still isn't letting me touch her.

My husband thinks it could have simply been dirt - BECAUSE -

We used to have a ferret - and unknown to me she was using behind the entertainment center as a litter box. And since the entertainment center is so huge it's very hard to move therefore sweeping behind it has not been done since Peanut died. Satin has been camping out back there - is it possible her fur got filled with old poop flakes or peices and she carried it back to the bed and there it dropped off?

Last night my husband and I moved the center - swept it really good - (I was embarressed to see what was behind it) I washed her beddding etc. And since then there has been no such dirt where she sits, naps or sleeps. Except for one little peice I found tonight - and that did not turn reddish brown when made wet - it just as easily could have been normal dirt.

So now I just don't know - does she have fleas or was that just dirt?

I've tried the 'wearing white socks' and shuffling feet along the floor to see if fleas jump up - I get nothing. We have not been getting bitten. I hate to think she does have fleas - i wouldn't know where to begin getting them out of the house. I did get some revolution on her - a few drops went on the floor but hopefully she got enough to do good if she did have fleas.

Anywho - sorry for the long post - I'm just frustrated!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I've never had to deal with fleas on Muffs or Abby, but I did deal with them many years ago on an indoor/outdoor cat we had when I was a teenager. So, until someone with more experience chimes in, I'll say what little I can.

As I recall, it took a few rounds of thorough cleaning and treating the cat to eliminate the fleas. So, if the only things you did were to sweep and wash the bedding -- and doing so has already eliminated the problem -- chances are you're not dealing with fleas. It's more likely that she got some dirt on her paws/etc. and then just tracked it into her bed.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
If the dirt didn't turn reddish, it was likely just the other kind of dirt. Keep a close eye on her tho, and check the skin at the back of her neck and along her spine. That's where fleas like to bite, and if you see any raised reddish bumps on the skin, it's likely she has fleas.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hard to check anything on her at this point - she won't let me touch her.
To get Leo used to being touched I made letting me pet him a condition of getting to his food (he is very food motivated). Eventually, I made being picked up and getting a kiss on the head a condition of being allowed to eat in peace.

I would site by the food and wait for him to come to it and slowly let him see where my hand was and then I would pet him. He would run away at first but he would always come back because I had the food.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
If it was flaky in consistency I doubt that it is flea dirt. Also, in my experience, flea dirt is usually embedded deep in the hair and usually doesn't just drop off onto bedding unless the animal has lots of fleas.

Cross your fingers and hope that it was just stuff she picked up while hiding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts