Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my second cat today. She was a rescue, living in a foster home with 6 other cats. My first cat was adopted from a shelter in January, and I never had any problems with her.

As soon as I arrived home with new kitty, I come to realize she's infested with fleas. They gave her Advantage spot treatment before I brought her over, but I thought that was a preventative measure and not to treat existing fleas.

I'm keeping her confined to the bathroom. Obviously she'd be away from my other cat either way so that they can be introduced slowly. But I'm really freaking out about these fleas. I'm afraid they'll get all over my house and on my other cat.

I called the vet and they told me to give her a flea pill every other day, so I'm doing that. I've also combed out about 50 fleas tonight... they are becoming harder to find, but I'm afraid of fleas getting on my carpet, clothes, hair, on my other cat, etc, and laying eggs and causing a never ending problem.

What else should I be doing? Should I give her a flea bath tomorrow? Would that kill the eggs?

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
My biggest nightmare. When I brought a new cat in, she brought fleas with her and I didn't even know it, her fur was so thick. Wash everything you've been wearing around her.....

ugh. I HATE HATE HATE fleas!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When I first got Sasha at 12 weeks, I took him to the Vet the very next day. They found fleas on him and gave him one topical dose of Frontline. I was so relieved, but I never expected the fleas to actually fall off of him and for it to be so visual. I had him confined to our bathroom for about a week, but after that first dose, he was clean. I just gave him a bath a few days after the treatment and we've never had a flea recurrence again. None of my other cats got fleas either. You just need to keep him confined and check him every few days to check for any more fleas to gauge if further treatment is necessary.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great news... as of today I haven't seen any fleas! Looks like I was able to comb out most of them, and the medication must be killing the rest. She looks much more comfortable and isn't scratching all the time.

I'm keeping her confined a few more days just to be sure. She also happens to be getting over an upper respiratory infection, and the vet told me to wait a few days until the symptoms clear up a little bit more before giving her a bath. So maybe on Tuesday I will do that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We had 2 chihuahuas (now 3) and they got infested with fleas. Tina got some fleas as well as a result. We used Frontline Plus on the dogs for a couple months and I just bathed Tina once. The fleas went byebye fairly quickly.

I don't like using pesticides on them. We tried vacuuming everything daily, washing all fabrics daily, and even sealed stuff in plastic. It helped but it didn't solve the problem.

We keep 3 doses of Frontline Plus on hands for the dogs now in case we see a flea. I guess I would get some for Tina too if we had to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts