Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i just inadvertently adopted a cat that's 2 months old. I'm holding it in a dorm room for two days. It's tiny skinny i fed it, it has fleas--what do we do to keep it from getting fleas all over the room and in our clothes? What should i do? Is it okay to keep it in the bathroom? id on't know what to do.

please help quickly. i am in great need. thank you.

leah

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I would suggest buying a flea comb, and then combing as many of the fleas off as you can. Have a container of warm soapy water next to you while doing this so you can drown the fleas as soon as you catch them. This is your safest option at the moment, and will provide some immediate relief for the poor kitty.

There are also some medicinal flea treatments, but I cannot tell you how safe they would be to use on a young, sickly kitten. I'm sure someone else can offer some good advice in this area. Be careful about using OTC medications, as some can be dangerous and cause serious risks even for adult cats.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
It's a good idea to take this kitten to a vet for a complete checkup. Then the vet can do something for the fleas, also. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please don't keep the poor thing in the bathroom...first off.

Definately take her to a vet. Maybe he could give you some safe products. Clean the dorm regurlarly...vacuum etc. for now.

Over the counter stuff such as hartz is dangerous. It has been known to kill animals so be careful. See a good vet.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm not sure what age the cat has to be, but your vet probably has this pill he/she can give your kitten that kills most of the fleas very quickly. After that, a kitten-safe flea treatment that your vet can recommend would be best. The vet can also check for worms while you are there. If you are worried about cost, perhaps you could explain your situation to the vet (a student, only trying to help a stray) and they'll give you a great break on the bill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please get the kitty to the vet ASAP!!! I ignored my cat's fleas (mostly due to financial reasons) and now my house is literally infested with fleas. I am getting eaten up by them and they are very hard to get rid of short of a professional exterminator. A vet will surely help your poor kitty AND be less expensive than getting your dorm sprayed. Plus, fleas will use you to reach other rooms of the house if you just lock the cat in the bathroom. GOOD LUCK!!!! :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts