Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flies, ants and bees are always being irritating and surrounding the feral cats' food....what do I do? I've been so frustrated recently. :fust I wash the bowls twice a day, change their dry food twice a day as well (I know it isn't the best thing to feed them...but with ten ferals, not all show up for breakfast so I leave the dry food out for them to nibble on). I also wash their feeding station every day. Once the cats are done eating their wet food, I take up the wet food bowls. What am I doing wrong??? :fust :eek:rcat

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ah, kittylover, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I have the same problem, compounded perhaps by my feeding the 10 feral/stray/cats next to the dumpster. The cats are so hungry, they don't seem to mind the flies and eat the food right away. I throw away any remaining wet food before I leave for work. The bugs/flies don't seem to bother the dry food as much. I live in a condo complex, so need to throw away food or I'll get complaints. You might try reducing the amount of food you put out so it gets eaten quicker. The cats will learn so show up on time for breakfast/dinner.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I, too, care for some 'roamers' in the neighbourhood...certainly not ferals, a couple of strays and, of course, some "freeloaders".

While we humans are very fussy about "cleanliness" vis-a-vis flies etc. (and probably overly so considering the mounting evidence that this is causing more and more "allergies") cats systems are well-equipped to deal with these naturally occurring beasties.

I wouldn't worry at all about what you're seeing...the cats certainly don't!

The pests which annoy me here are the snails and slugs - only because THEY are the real freeloaders! I tried everything I could think of to keep them at bay & nothing worked. I posted the problem on another forum and someone suggested using food-grade diatomaceous earth (Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits) - a light sprinkling around the food containers does the trick. THAT would certainly keep the ants away. (do make sure what you use is food-grade)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts