Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's a real shame. If Dr. Pizano is telling the truth, it seems to me that this mess is not really her fault, yet she's taking the blame for it simply because she's the facility director.

Anyway, get that camera rolling again, and make repeat offenses a terminable offense. We've got a bad enough problem with kill shelters as-is; the last thing we need is cruel methods of killing.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Anyway, get that camera rolling again, and make repeat offenses a terminable offense. We've got a bad enough problem with kill shelters as-is; the last thing we need is cruel methods of killing.
I'm sorry, but they should put a policy on proper euthanization procedure in place, properly train their techs in this procedure, and make any deviation from that training a terminable offense, if not criminal.

They also should deal with what they find on that tape in an effective manner so that employees don't need to leak it to the press. The only reason the tech used this method of euthanization is because he was taught by experience that no one would do anything about what was recorded. I HIGHLY doubt that this was his first time using the "heart stick" method. He looked pretty proficient at it.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a real shame. If Dr. Pizano is telling the truth, it seems to me that this mess is not really her fault, yet she's taking the blame for it simply because she's the facility director.
A shelter director is the most important position in a shelter. They lead the shelter in what direction they should take in all issues.

Their kill rate is horrible. They can become a compassionate no kill shelter if they want to learn and change the ways they do things. But its up to the shelter director. Thank goodness this got out to the public so floridians can react and have a public out cry for change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A shelter director is the most important position in a shelter. They lead the shelter in what direction they should take in all issues.

Their kill rate is horrible. They can become a compassionate no kill shelter if they want to learn and change the ways they do things. But its up to the shelter director. Thank goodness this got out to the public so floridians can react and have a public out cry for change.
I guess that part of the question is, who sets the policy for how the cats are dealt with? But regardless, I agree that this shelter needs to change their ways. Hopefully this can be an opportunity for them to give TNR serious consideration.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things may not change. But I would encourage you to write the newspaper there and write the shelter director a letter suggesting how to become no kill and your feelings of what should of been done when it was found out the employes were using a heart stick.

I had to write our supposed no kill shelter a letter about the the lack of proper care for sick cats at their shelter. Ill bet there are frustrated empolyes and volunteers who would like to see change there. Your voice will help it move in the right direction hopefully

1 - 7 of 7 Posts