Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think flossing would have the same effect as brushing their teeth? Would it get off enough tartar?

I had just finished flossing my teeth last night and Book was hanging around. I still had it twined around my fingers and held it out. He started chomping on it (I didn't let him swallow any of it). I started flossing his teeth and he let me get all the back ones as well as all around his fangs.

TOnight, he showed up again and we did it again. He seems to really dig the new mint flavored floss I got. Now when I pull out the container and start zipping it out he comes running. (I'm always careful to throw it away in the main trash can with the lid so neither of them get into it).

Anyway, he won't let me brush his teeth and I wondered if maybe flossing was just as good.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you think flossing would have the same effect as brushing their teeth? Would it get off enough tartar?
< snip >
Anyway, he won't let me brush his teeth and I wondered if maybe flossing was just as good.
Better than nothing maybe, but I'd say not quite as good as brushing. Most plaque buildup on cats' teeth is on the outer face of the tooth. I suppose if you managed to wrap the floss right around each tooth you might be able to get some of that off? ;) I don't see how you'd be able to get to the outer surface near the gumline, though, where the most troublesome plaque (and tartar) normally accumulates.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When my vet performed dental work to my former cats, he recommended a liquid product (forgot the name) that you put in the cat's water to help with tarter build up. Maybe you can ask your vet if that would be appropriate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts