Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I missing something here?

BBC News - Suspected intruder stabbed to death in Bramhall burglary

Two men broke into a house, while the owner was home. One of the burglars was stabbed by the homeowner (with the burglar's knife) and later died of his wounds.

Floral tributes to the dead man have been laid near the scene.
Seriously? People are leaving flowers for the intruder?? - at the homeowner's house???

And, the homeowner was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Please tell me there's more to this story, because this is a little crazy to me.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The guy killed someone. He should be under suspicion of murder. You can't take someone's life and expect to get away with it. If it was self defence however, I hope he doesn't get jailed if that turns out to be the case.

However, the flowers thing is utterly bizarre.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't agree with killing people but really, if you have two armed intruders IN your house I don't think you should be investigated for murder. Two wrongs do not make a right but whether his life was at risk or not, the homeowner would have been terrified that two armed intruders were in his home. There are too many laws that go more for people committing crimes than those who are being affected by them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This doesn't surprise me.

We live in a country where a celebrity can dangle his baby from a balcony with not even a slap on the wrist.

I'm sure if a mugger was sprayed with pepper spray, he could sue his victim for damaging his eyes.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in Jolly Ol'e England :wink but here we have the right to defend ourselves. If he was INSIDE the man's home and was stabbed for his efforts then as Huge said, it's self defense. The police will of course investigate.

As for people coming onto my property and leaving flowers....... they'd be facing the police for trespassing.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Some people embrace being victims.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in Jolly Ol'e England :wink but here we have the right to defend ourselves. If he was INSIDE the man's home and was stabbed for his efforts then as Huge said, it's self defense. The police will of course investigate.

As for people coming onto my property and leaving flowers....... they'd be facing the police for trespassing.
Oh no, no, no. According to Hugh ALL LIFE IS SACRED!!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
According to you it's perfectly fine to shoot anyone in the face who dares set foot on the first millimetre of your land, even if you've given them permission or they have a right to be there, after all all visitors are always plotting to do evil things to you. I should be shot for just disagreeing with you.

I already said if the guy was defending himself then he shouldn't be jailed. I just believe killing someone is wrong no matter what the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
According to you it's perfectly fine to shoot anyone in the face who dares set foot on the first millimetre of your land, even if you've given them permission or they have a right to be there, after all all visitors are always plotting to do evil things to you. I should be shot for just disagreeing with you.
Yes. That's exactly my view. No distortion there at all.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is all part of the "Castle Doctrine". A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine arising from English common law that designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his "castle"), and any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

Some states have it as law, and others are considering it. It is in the works here in Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
They would be shot if they were in my house. No if, ans, or buts. You can’t tell whether someone is wacko dangerous when they are breaking in your home. How are we to discern that? They deserve whatever happens to them. There is something so violating about someone in your space uninvited. I live near the border and it become very violent here.

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He stabbed the intruder with the intruder's knife, so I would say he was defending himself.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Still, that intruder's life was sacred

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't judge the man, seeing as I've (thankfully) never been in a similar situation.

And, if I were to be in one, sure... I would definitely prefer to stop the assailant in a non-lethal way (shooting/stabbing his arm/leg). However, the torso is a larger (therefore easier) target. Sadly, many torso stabbings can lead (either immediately, or eventually) to death faster than a wound to an appendage.

That being said, none of us were there. We don't know the lighting, the battle that ensued (if any). We don't know the emotions the assailant or victim were feeling. We can say, "Oh... I'd kill him in a heartbeat!" or "Every life is precious and he should not have been killed!", but until/unless we're placed in that situation, sometimes reasoning goes out the door.

Also, what I'd do to an assailant if I was alone would be possibly different than if he was endangering my wife and/or children.

One can't place a value on any human life. That's true.

That being said, if given the choice between the sacredness of my (or my family's) life(ves) and that of the assailant's sacred life... it's a no-brainer. Again, if I had to choose.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It is sad that the man died, even though he was a complete idiot. If he were my family or friend I would leave flowers but I would do it at his grave, not at the site of his death. That man was well within his rights to stab him.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If someone were in my home, I would surely defend myself, and as far as I'm concerned, he had the right to protect himself. But I'm just not sure if defending, and killing, are the same thing. Was it necessary to kill? But, not being in that situation, it's so hard to judge what happened, or even what I would do being in the same situation.

The flowers though are just weird!

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the guy was shot in the back while trying to run out of the house once he discovered someone was home, that's one thing. But he was killed with the knife he brought with him.

The man's wife and child returned home during the incident. How scary for them. :(

The homeowner has been released on bail pending the investigation.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
The man brought a knife with him. That is a lethal weapon as far as I'm concerned. I would be scared out of my mind if that happened to me. I would feel like my life was in danger.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Oh no, no, no. According to Hugh ALL LIFE IS SACRED!!
Yes. That's exactly my view. No distortion there at all.

If the guy was shot in the back while trying to run out of the house once he discovered someone was home, that's one thing. But he was killed with the knife he brought with him.

The man's wife and child returned home during the incident. How scary for them. :(

The homeowner has been released on bail pending the investigation.
I missed the bit about the guy being knifed with his own weapon. (I blame America and their timezone :p) If that indeed was the case (we still can't be sure because the media never get the full facts), then of course it was self defence, and the guy should be freed. Obviously it still has to be investigated though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts