Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems using the flushable cat litter? I know that our bathroom would smell so much better by using this stuff.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I use Swheat scoop and I really like it! It still smells a little but it is a great improvement over having non-clumping that I had to scoop out and carry to the dumpster every day! I just scoop a couple times a day and flush it all down the toilet. The larger pee clumps I break up with the scoop so that they will fit down the toilet.
The only problem is that you have to make sure that it is deep enough or else you will get clumps that stick to the bottom of the box. Cost is okay since I buy it in a 40 lb bag.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just saw the comercial here for Arm & Hammer Flushable litter. I', still not sure if I'll try it, but maybe. Sounds like a really good idea for litter boxes that are in bathrooms.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I liked it a lot -- didn't really like the smell of the swheat scoop WHILE I was scooping, but I couldn't smell a thing otherwise. I also noticed less odor coming from the litterbox RIGHT after kitties would poo. Usually you could smell it on the other end of the apartment for about 2 minutes right after dropoff. lol. I did have one problem though -- it seemed to clog up my toilet a bit. I have an older toilet though -- it's not the newest model in the world so maybe with more powerful toilets this isn't a problem. This really disappointed me because I loved the idea of not having to empty the poo can every couple days. :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
ForJazz said:
I liked it a lot -- didn't really like the smell of the swheat scoop WHILE I was scooping, but I couldn't smell a thing otherwise. I also noticed less odor coming from the litterbox RIGHT after kitties would poo. Usually you could smell it on the other end of the apartment for about 2 minutes right after dropoff. lol. I did have one problem though -- it seemed to clog up my toilet a bit. I have an older toilet though -- it's not the newest model in the world so maybe with more powerful toilets this isn't a problem. This really disappointed me because I loved the idea of not having to empty the poo can every couple days. :(

I know what you mean. Emptying the poo can is the worst, eh? LoL

Ohhh, the smell.... ewwwww! :lol:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ForJazz, sometimes my toilet would get clogged if I didn't break up the clumps enough or tried to flush too much at once. However, when that would happen, I'd just let it sit in the toilet for half an hour and then go back and flush it. It always worked after that since the wheat clumps had disintegrated while sitting in the toilet water and were then easier to flush.

·
Registered
917 Posts
yeah, mine would sometimes clog too- i also have an old toilet. (ew, i just thought about how many butts have probably been on my toilet, i think i have to disenfect now.) but i would either let it sit, or get the scoop in the toilet and move some clogs from the drain, and flush again.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'll try that! And I'll let my boyfriend know as well -- I think he's the one that flushed the big clumps. lol I hope that works though -- we usually don't have big clumps because we scoop the boxes twice a day.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
faile said:
yeah, mine would sometimes clog too- i also have an old toilet. (ew, i just thought about how many butts have probably been on my toilet, i think i have to disenfect now.) but i would either let it sit, or get the scoop in the toilet and move some clogs from the drain, and flush again.
The same here. It happened to me once. I just waited for a while and then flushed again. I like swheat scoop! Sometimes it gets stuck at the bottom but I wash the litter box once in a while and clean the stuck parts. Anyone tried the one made of corn? That's another one which is flushable. (I haven't tried it)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like swheatscoop a lot too! I don't flush it though, I live in a rental house with a couple of roomates and they are not too keen on the idea of cat litter sitting in the toilet, lol. Our toilet is a bit sensitive too, the couple of times I did flush the litter it was very slow and made a funny sound. But I still feel better about the litter breaking down in the landfill as opposed to the clay kind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts