Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was asked by my breeder if I could transport a kitten for her since I'm going away a few days (and she's afraid of flying). I've asked her to make sure the seller of this kitten will bring a transport bag suited for airplanes and any extra cost it might be for our flight.

But I'm worried about this kitten. She will first be transported by car to the city where I'm leaving from, how long of a drive I'm not sure, but probably at least 2-3 hours. Then there's the flight with one layover, so in total the kitten might travel from 8-10 hours.

How well do they handle this type of trips? Food? Water? Litterbox? Etc?

Is there some tricks to keep the kitten calm during all this?

I appreciate any suggestions and tips.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
How old a kitten? If it's at least 3 months, that's probably a safe time period.
In most cases, cats wouldn't need to be fed, watered, or litter-box'ed in that period of time. I've traveled quite a bit with mine, and they easily tolerate a 15-hour day in the carrier.

Here's a great website for cat travel info: www.ramblincat.com. BTW the kitten will need a health certificate to fly, dated within 10 days; hopefully the vet will have some good advice too.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thank you Jean! :)

Yes, the kitten will be 12 weeks, so the age should be fine (she's actually the same age as my kittens). It's going to be a domestic flight, so I'm not sure if they need a health certificate. But the seller will probably send all the papers with me anyway, for the pedigree and vaccination charts etc.

Thanks for the link and the assurance that she'll be fine for 15 hours, that long it wont take! The breeder lives a bit away from us too and she's going to work night so the kitten will have a pit stop at our house over night. Hopefully my kittens will be nice with her, or we'll just set up camp for her in her own room.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If she's crossing any state lines, she must have a health certificate. She will not be allowed on the aircraft without one. She does not have to have a rabies certificate (she's not old enough), but a health certificate is mandatory, and the airlines do check.

Definitely keep the baby in her own room; she will have more than enough stress going on without having to deal with other cats, nice or not!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Living in Sweden there's no state lines to cross. So that part I'm not worried about. But for others to gain info from this thread, it's a good reminder!

Also, good idea to keep the kitten by herself anyway after the trip, it must be a huge ordeal for her! Leaving mommy, then being traveling almost all day and handled by a stranger (me). Poor kitty! Maybe I'll get her some extra treat so she knows she's been a good kitten. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
why not call the airline to find out exactly what you need to bring w/ you?

can a 12 week old kitten hold her stuff for 15hrs though?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am calling the airline, but they can't answer questions about cats and if you need to feed them, water them and let them go to the bathroom. I'm grateful about Dr. Jeans reply that the cat should be able to handle the trip (which is not going to take 12 hours, probably 8 at the most).

·
Registered
88 Posts
one note about the flying...we are taking Peanut from NY to FL later this month, and JetBlue airlines does not require any kind of health certificate (I specifically asked).

Are there any sedatives that could be administered during the flight, for ex. if we wanted to see how she'd do w/o one first? or do they need to be administered by a Vet?

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I brought Socks here she was in her case for more than 19 hours. I gave her a sedative when she started to look too terrified so maybe you should ask about that option too, just in case the kitten will need it. She was kind of cranky after the trip so I wouldn't do it again unless I really have to. And - maybe it is best not to give the kitten food for 2 hours before he gets into his carrier so he won't need to "go" while in there. Just check with a vet before doing anything... ha tur! [did I mess that up??]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Socksipuss said:
ha tur! [did I mess that up??]
Sort of, but I do know what you meant (you said "have luck!" better would be to say "lycka till!" which direct translated would be "luck to (you)") and THANK YOU! :D

I've been talking to the airline now and pre-booked the flight for the kitten. You have to call ahead to make sure no one with allergies has called ahead first. If that's the case you have to transport the kitten in the cargo bay (not a favorite of mine, but some says it's ok).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts