Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I will move to another country in a few months, and my cat will of course join me.

The problem is it is a 5 hours flight, and then another flight for 40 mins.
I am very scared of this flight, and how my poor cat will react to everything.

I will book with an airline that allows cats in the cabin, and buy him one of those airplane bags with ventilation and which are waterproof.

I would like anyone to share their tips or experience. Anything would be great!

What do I do if he needs to poop or pee? Should I put a towel or something, and maybe an extra one if he needs to do his business?

What do I do if I need to wait for long for the next flight? Where can he go to the toilet? Catlitter in the restroom? (is that even allowed?) :|

I might book a hotel that allows cats if I have to wait overnight, and I have the same question there. Do you bring maybe some cat litter to the hotel? Should I pack this in my bags?

I know most my questions are poop or pee related, but I found some advise about the other problems on google. Thank you for all answers. I am really scared! And I most likely will not be a popular passenger :crazy

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've previously worked in airline industry before, so I have a little bit of experience with travelling pets.

Since you are planning to take your cat in the cabin, there are a few things to note. You should first check if the airline allows pets in cabin and if so, what the measurements and weight restrictions are, because not every pet will be allowed in the cabin. Also what their rules are regarding taking your cat out of it's carrier bag during the flight. Not every airline will allow this.
For check in, they will weigh and maybe measure the cat and bag. They will also direct you to a special security screening so that they can scan the cat and bag. Don't worry as the xrays are animal friendly, and it doesn't take long.

Do bring food and if you don't have a collapsable bowl, I suggest hand feeding and a needleless syringe for water. You can feed him water, giving a couple of drops at a time. Your best time to feed him would be during the layover.

As to pooping and peeing... from my personal experience with taking Milky out for long periods, he prefers to hold it in and wait until he gets to a litter box, otherwise he will wait. It is also normal that cats can hold it in for a long time. I suggest that you feed him and give him water prior to going to the airport and see if he will use the litter box first.

Hope my info has helped you in some way!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have flown with a cat from alabama to oregon, and it went well. she traveled in a soft carrier under the seat. I put a folded puppy potty pad on the bottom of the bag, and carried extras in my purse(and some baby wipes just incase). I took her food and water away a few hours before the flight(kinda like before surgery) so she wouldn't need to potty. There were no potty accidents and she was nice and quiet. I brought cat nip along to keep her calm. make sure to keep a copy of the health certificate in the carrier, and another with you. I also put a collar and tag on her incase she got loose in the airport(you take her out to scan the bag).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your answers, it was very helpful.
I will definately get some puppy pads and baby wipes, and the syringe sound like a very good idea to keep my cat hydrated during the flight.

The flight is quite long, and I am not sure if its best to keep in in the cabin or the cargo. I am sure he will feel better with us, but maybe a bigger cage in the cargo would make it easier for him for such a long time? What do you think?

Would it be any trouble at the airport if I make him a temporary cat litter box in the restroom? I dont want him to get constipated on the trip.

Thank you for answers and tips!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Also, most airlines only allow a few animals in the cabin each flight so you want to get it all worked out WELL in advance and book your pet's passage so it doesn't get to the last minute and they tell you that they are 'pet booked' for the flights you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts