Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put advantage on my cat - and he started foaming at the mouth for a min... and spat just a tiny bit of blood - like... a drop. Is this normal?!

He did the same thing when we gave him his medication for tapeworms... he foams - spits... then he is fine. The vet said that sometimes cats foam at the mouth if they get nervious... creepy. I think this last time he might have bitten his lip or tongue or something - I checked his mouth again and nothing.. no blood. I whiped his mouth and he was fine...

This reaction to any type of medication has really gotten me worried... I'm not sure if it's just stress or what... *sigh* :(

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Call the vet ASAP. When Elly had a bad reaction to a drug she foamed at the mouth for a bit and was even more sick for almost a week.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, please call the vet and/or take him in to be checked. A toxic reaction can be serious. Advantage occasionally causes liver disease in sensitive cats.

Oral medications often taste terrible and cause this reaction, but a topical should not. It is abnormal and your vet should assess him!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I was told from the vet that if they licked it a bit they would foam and that it tasted bad - she said this was perfectly normal. But she said if it lasted longer than a few minutes, to call them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If they get in in their mouths, yes, that would be a normal reaction. The alcohol carrier alone would cause that. But it didn't sound like that's what happened here; it was applied topically, yet the cat reacted badly. That sort of thing should be checked with the vet.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update: I realized he had taken a lick of it - because he tried a taste again... and started spitting and foaming. He's such a dork...

He is doing ok now - jumping around and lively. I don't think I put the stuff up far enough between his shoulderblades... so he got to taste a bit. He was also rubbing his face and tongue - so I think he might have scratched his lip or something. Thanks for the responses - vet says that he should be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts