Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten was playing with a bug a little while ago, stalking it and pouncing on it without killing it, when all of a sudden she started going crazy. She was shaking her head violently, and opening and closing her mouth as if she had peanutbutter on her tongue. A few seconds later, she started foaming at the mouth, long strings of it falling onto the floor. This went on for over a minute. I'm a little panicked even though she seems to be doing all right now-- I've never seen or heard of that happening to a cat before. How worried should I be??

·
Registered
6 Posts
That kind of sounds like rabies...

It might be something the bug squirted in her mouth that bothered her for a moment, but it still sounds like something I'd be worried about.

Foaming mouths on animals is kinda freaky, I'd definately take that feline to the vet a.s.a.p.

I just got my first cat a few days ago and am totally new to the cat game, but if any animal I owned had a foaming mouth I'd be driving him to the vet before it went mad with rabies and started tearing out my ventricular valve.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would blame it on the bug rather than rabies......but still....you never know. Just take her to the vet and make sure she doesnt bite you in the meantime. I hope she is okay!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I really don't think you need to worry about rabies Katy. Did you notice what type of bug it was? If it was a bee or a stinkbug it probably just squirted something into her mouth that tasted bad or stung her. You can give your vet a call, but if kitty isn't acting strange and is drinking fine I think she's okay. Rabies has a host of other symptoms beyond foaming at the mouth, which is one of the last to appear.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I remember it happening to my Bimba about 6 months ago, she was playing in the garden with a bug... but after one minute she was great again! It never happened again :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Spaz does that when she's sick to her tummy. It's usually followed by vomiting but occasionally she just does the foaming/spitting thing.

I think of it just the same as when humans are sick right before vomiting you get that surge of saliva.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would agree with everyone else. It sounds like the bug tasted bad, or bit, or stung kitty. She was probably just trying to spit out the bad taste. I would bet she didn't get bit or stung, you would have heard her holler. My Dusty used to do this every once in a while. He eventually learned that particular bug just wasn't worth catching!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts