Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tucker is being a little brat, and seeings how he is my first kitten this young, I have no idea what to do. When I gave him his food today he was growling and hissing while eating if I was anywhere near him. I took his food away every time he did it, but I don't think this is the proper way to correct the behavior. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If I remember correctly don't you feed raw? Quite a few kittens I have given raw too exhibits this "wild" behavior when eating. In fact some adult cats will "go wild" when eating raw. Showing basic hunter attributes such as hunching over it in a possessive manner, growling as they eat. Picking it up and moving it away from others.. Usually with foods they really enjoy. I don't feed 100% (wish I could) and Gypsy is a doll with normal food, but given raw, you hear the growl and she takes on a protective stance and goes through the motions of stunning her food before running 3 feet and eating it.

If your not feeding raw, just feed in a more relaxed place away from others maybe in a crate until he feels secure.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I would just put the kitten in a quiet easy to clean room when it feeds. I do this for all my cats. They can't be around each other when they eat. Some are food aggressive and others will try to steal scraps from each other's bowls. So, I know this is a lifetime behavior. We're now used to feeding this way, but with 4 cats getting a system down was a bit of a challenge.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Actually I'd be worried constantly taking the food away when he growled would just reinforce the behavior. He's growling to try to keep you from taking his food - so taking his food probably isn't going to make the behavior stop. I'd take everyone else's advice and just let him eat somewhere quiet, where he won't be disturbed. Hopefully he'll be able to calm down and after a while he'll start letting you get close once he realizes his food isn't going to be stolen from him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts