Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Missy, the stray I adopted, to the vet for the first time on Fri. The people who found her took her to their vet and got her vaccinated, dewormed, etc. but I wanted to get her established with a vet by me. I also suspected she might have ear mites. The vet took one look at my poor girl's ears and said "looks like food allergies." It appears that she has been scratching at her ears for "a long time." They are scarred and inflamed :( I thought it was mites, but there was "not a mite in sight" said the vet. She has a lot of yeast in her ears. I have been giving her the "healthiest" food I could find because I believe in feeding pets healthy food, but I guess now I have to buy hypo-allergenic food? The vet suggested Rick Van Patton's Natural Balance. I bought some kibble and wet food (Natural Balance) today and will give it a try... any other suggestions/advice? Would be much appreciated please ! thank you! I just want my pretty little girl to feel better!!!
Casey

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Well, the Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck (Limited Ingredient) food would be the best choice for allergies. Is that the one you bought?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes - that is the kibble. I bought the green pea and chicken canned food - she liked the chicken canned food I was giving her before so I wanted to have some consistency for her!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Did the vet prescribe and antifungal for the yeast? I would not assume that a stray (of unknown length of time) has a yeast infection due to allergies...being outside in the rain, exposed to who knows what could be the cause of of the yeast and have nothing to do with food. Callie was a stray I took in, she had a yeast infection in her ears and a course of medication took care of it without further issue.

If it is a food allergy, I would be inclined to go with a high protein, low carb food...carbs get converted to sugar, sugar feeds yeast. NB LID foods, even the wet foods, are significantly more carb heavy than, say, EVO or CORE. If you're still concerned about a protein allergy, then I'd go with EVO Duck or Venison canned food.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
When I adopted MowMow he had the same black, smelly and itchy ears. It was also a food allergy.

I started him on the Dick Van Pattens NB as well :) Then I found out that not only can't he eat grains but chicken :p. The Dick Van Pattens NB LID (Limited Ingredients Diet) was expensive, imo so I switched him to EVO 95% beef.

I agree with Doodlebug. I'd switch over to the EVO duck and venison(and beef if he's not allergic to it) canned foods. You can alternate the flavors for variety. It's comparable in price to the Natural Balance and should help with allergies.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahhh thank you both for the tips!! I really hope she is not allergic to chicken too! ugh!
Yes I did get some ear drops to give her once/day for two weeks... will see if that helps. poor thing is just so uncomfortable :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Callista has food allergies too, she eats IVD Rabbit and Peas.

The biggest thing I learned in trying to get allergies under control was that it really does take 6 weeks before the proteins they are reacting to are out their system.

I'd suggest starting with a totally novel protein that Missy has never had before, since that way you'll know that she won't react to it. Once she's been on it for 8 weeks and provided her ears are cleared up and comfortable again you can try introducing another single protein (e.g. beef) and see how she responds to it over a 3 week period. If she seems to get itchy at all STOP and wait another 8 weeks before trying another protein.

It is a time consuming process, but through this I have discovered that Callista is allergic to chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb and pretty much every fish out there.
For treats I buy rabbit and goat meat, boil it, shred it and freeze it in portions. I always keep a little dish of it in the refrigerator so she doesn't feel left out when the boys are getting goodies, but I prefer her looking like this (maintained on restricted diet alone):

rather than like this (post fur pulling episode, after 3 weeks in a cone and months on maintenance steroids, hence the orange "burnt" look to her gray fur):

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awww I love the first pic. of Callista! how cute...
Missy pulls her fur out too!!! ugh I know I am in for a long process here. thank you for your advice. she HATES the ear drops but I hope they will bring her some relief. she is on the green pea and duck kibble now and I have not given her duck before so that would be a new protein for her.
thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts