Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldnt find any information on this so Im hoping its not a repeat thread.

Im wondering what good brands of cat food are. I did all this research for my dog and now its time to do it for my cat.

What are ingrediants that are most common in causing alleric reactions in cats? My girl has scabby cat and Im starting to think other allergies so we want to try getting her on a more approptiate food and see if that helps any before we take the vet route.

Also, my girl is a dilute toritishell, does the dilute make her more prone to allergies? (Im asking because my dog is also a dilute and I know with dogs it does make them more prone to allergies, and my dog is allergic to so many things)

Im sorry if some of these questions are rather odd. I really dont know much about feline health, which is why Ive joined this forum (I learned so much about my dog from a pit bull forum so I thought this would be a great place to start in learning more about my cat)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thank you, she is currently eating fish food also, she never liked it when she was younger so we recently started her on it and recently seem to be more of her issues (Ill have to double check with my mom to see about timing as she lives with my parents still becuase she couldnt handle a move :( )

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
RowdyAndMalley is right about fish being a common source of allergies in cats. As for healthy foods, canned (wet) food is better than dry food for cats. Here a link to a sticky on that topic. The sticky contains many other links that are useful reading: http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/75458-info-links-why-canned-better-than-all-dry-diet.html

As for brands, you should stick to grain-free products that have meat as their first ingredient. Some good brands include (in no particular order): EVO, Weruva, Nature’s Variety Instinct, Wellness, CORE, Before Grain, Now/Go, Blue Wilderness, By Nature, and Fromm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I did find out last night in my limited research that wet is better than dry. Shes basically been fed 1 can/pouch of wet a day with dry always left out (but she hardly touches it) and I believe recently my mom even started feeding her 2 pouches of wet a day (with the recent loss of my brothers cat -who was my moms best buddy- my mom has taken to 'spoiling' my cat with extra wet food, which, as I learned, is healthier. But its a fish based food, with chunks of fish in it.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Ahh...well, the sooner you can get her off fish the better, since there are various health issues associated with cats who eat only fish. Before I knew that, my girls ate only fish-flavored wet food and they near enough staged a hunger strike when I tried to take it away from them and replace it with chicken, turkey, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Cobie, Mow is my first cat and I'm learning as we go too. I kept freaking out at the slightest sneeze or hairball and googled so many cat diseases it was frightening. I'm lucky my vet is patient and if my vet trip was just a freaked out mom and not a real issue he didn't charge us.

Mow is allergic to corn and chicken. Either of those cause horrible itchy ears and then ear infections as well as bring out flareups of blackheads on his chin.

Right now he's on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diet(LID) canned food. They have a venison and pea, salmon and pea, and chicken and pea (which of course he can't eat). I had him on the dry but he's not a big water drinker and wound up with urine crystals and a urinary tract infection twice so now he gets canned :) With some hot water on top to force extra liquid into him. I alternate between the Salmon and the Venison.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be going to my moms tomorrow and we will be going cat food shopping for my little miss. I have some notes from my research last night and will continue my kitty food research once my son goes down for his nap (cant get much done with a 2 year old and his 'twin' aka our dog zooming around lol)

Im thinking so far, from what I have read, I will either try Merrick Before Grain, Wellness CORE or Blue Wilderness.. Depending on who sells them and how much. And Ill stick to either a bird or rabbit based meat source. Hopfully the switched will go well, she used to hate fish, she even flipped a fish from our fish tank when we were all younger and when we woke up the little red fish was dead in the middle of the livingroom, she played with it but wouldnt eat it. So hopuflly she will tolerate the switch away from fish, even though she quite loves fish now, my brothers orange tabby who recently passed away was the picky one (would only tolerate a certian litter, only likes certian food, wanted to be fed at the EXACT same time every day...) so my moms not used to a cat whos so easy going lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts