Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you store your cats food?

Right now I store dry food in gallon size, air-tight glass jars with a measuring cup in the jar. Canned food is stacked by what flavor it is and on the shelf right beside the dry food. I keep it in the linen closet upstairs. Raw meat is pre-measured and cut in baggies in the fridge.

I wash the jars after they are empty.

How do you store litter? What do you scoop waste into?

I keep litter in a plastic storage bin in the garage. Beside every litter box I keep one of those jumbo cereal containers with litter in it so I can add litter as needed. I scoop litter into a mini step trash can.

·
Banned
470 Posts
IMO the absolute best storage container from a freshness perspective is the packaging it comes in.

That packaging was purpose built to give the food a shelf life of many years, and the food is already in there.

I just roll the top, burp the air, and put the strongest chip-clip I could find on there.

Ditto on the litter, I just keep it in the original container. Then again, I'm so big handsome and muscular that I don't mind lifting the 40 pound bag to add some as needed. *kisses biceps* :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ditto on the litter, I just keep it in the original container. Then again, I'm so big handsome and muscular that I don't mind lifting the 40 pound bag to add some as needed. *kisses biceps* :D
-facepalm-

For the dry food, I used to have a flip top locking-lid container. Until the cats figured out how to flip the thing on its top and stip on the lid lock and pop it open.

I can't just use the bags they come in. Tried that when I first got Teddy. He opened the cabinet and ripped the bag to SHREDS and flung food everywhere. Plus the zip-lock things at the top don't always work as intended. Instead, I use the small sized Vittles Vault. Gamma Vittles Vault Plus at PETCO
It has a screw top lid that I can't really open with one hand (almost impossible for the cats to get into. Never say never though) and it is durable.

I would be afraid to use glass jars. My cats would figure a way to smash them open. I GUARANTEEE it.

As for clean litter, nothing beats a rubbermaid container for keeping it in bulk.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
... I'm so big handsome and muscular that I don't mind lifting the 40 pound bag to add some as needed. *kisses biceps* :D
Now that I'm done fanning myself so I won't swoon..... I don't feed dry so no storage issues there. The case of food in use is on top of the fridge so I just reach up and grab a can. The extra canned food is stacked by the case in the hall closet next to the kitchen. I usually buy two cases at a time (about a months worth).

Litter I buy in 50 lb bags and just leave it in it's original bag. I scoop it out with an old coffee can.

Dirty litter isn't an issue as Mr. Picky won't poo in the same litter twice (even if it's been scooped out). So I empty it every morning and walk it out to the trash. Then I soak the offending pan in bleach/water. I scoop two small coffee cans of cheapo cat litter in a clean pan (washed the day before) and set it down.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I basically have the same routine as Mow Mow. I feed a lot of raw so that is stored in the freezer and defrosted the night before as needed.

As far as litter, I also use the 40 lbs box it comes in, too. I consider it part of my workout to lift and pour into all 3 litter boxes ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My girls don't each much dry, so I buy relatively small bags. I store the food in the original bag, using the ziploc sealer. I also roll down the top and use a clip to give it extra seal. I keep the canned food in one of my kitchen cupboards, along with the cats' treats, supplements, etc. I use only a half can of wet at a time. I put the other half in a small tupperware dish and store it in the fridge for the next feeding.

Since I'm not blessed with Ducman's biceps (ahem...), I buy my litter in small plastic pails, and I store the clean litter in said pails until use. I later use the empty litter pail (which comes with an airtight lid) to store the soiled litter. I also keep a small plastic bowl and carry it around from litter box to litter box, to gather the soiled litter from my four litter boxes. I then transfer the soiled litter from the small plastic bowl into the larger litter pail with airtight lid, which in turn is stored in my garage until garbage day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Ducman-I would keep it in the bag, but Rocky would tear it to shreds. He's done it before and had a feast. The closet door gets left open sometimes so I don't want to risk it.
Lol!! I wouldn't have a problem leaving it in the garage but I have to run up and down two flights of stairs and I'm lazy. And uh, not exactly strong. :p

@raecarrow-Same here. Rocky's ripped it to shreds and put holes in it. The glass jars have survived thus far. Since I keep them in the closet it would be hard for them to smash them, especially since the shelves are pretty narrow and they can't get on the shelves. It's a sorry linen closet that we use for odds and ends only because of the shelves. They'd never hold linens or towels.

@MowMow-I wish I had them off dry already. I'm slowly switching them off of dry but it's proving hard for Rocky. He's addicted to it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For the litter I use the container it came in to scoop the waste into, and the food I keep in a flip top container that is kept in the pantry with the soft food.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Maybe put the bag itself into a container w/ a lid?

At least that way you don't ever have to worry about occasionally washing the container itself.

Otherwise the stuff you put in there might be a week old, but the container walls would have residue on it thats a year or whatever old. I guess for litter thats not a big deal, but for the food I would think it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts