Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting one (with my Christmas money).

What kind do you have and, after buying it, how often do you really use it?

What options do you wish you had gotten that yours doesn't have?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
omg, that's the exact one I was looking at, and my question about options was because I saw this comment:

My only complaint: there is no temperature setting, one-size-fits-all.
Yeah, Krissy, I think this is your problem:

and most importantly it's quick 6-8 hours

·
Registered
13 Posts
My family has an Excalibur dehydrator and we love it. It has nine trays, you can choose the temperature, and a timer. Only disadvantage is the trays are kid of big for our kitchen sink so it's slightly cumbersome to wash. It's worth it, though.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! That's definitely a nice one, not sure I'm up for spending quite that much money, though.

I mostly was interested because I get the rotissarie chickens, which I LOVE, but I don't care for the white meat part. I'd like to make that into treats for my girls. And I love jerky, so I'd like to check that out, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a small Nesco which I got mainly for making food for my aquarium snails. It works good, but I can't fit much in it. I once tried a sweet potato, ONE potato filled up all the tiers. I'm happy with the way it works though. I like that it doesn't put out a lot of heat and you can just forgetaboutit for awhile. If it were bigger I'd probably use it more.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm almost afraid to ask what snails eat.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
That's interesting. My first thought was... ALGAE but no..

Description
This recipe has been designed for apple snails but will work for just about any freshwater snail.

Ingredients
8 oz Chicken livers
4 oz Lean fresh white fish meat
2 oz Cuttlefish bone powder
Directions
Boil chicken livers in 3 cups water for 15 minutes. Drain water and let livers dry and cool for about 15 minutes. Add all ingredients to a food processor or food grinder and puree into as fine of a paste as you can. If cutlefish bone is not available, oyster shell flour can be used. The high calcium suppliments are great for the snails shells. The mixture can now be frozen of dehydrated in a food dehydrator for storage.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that's not fitting into the small Nesco! :grin:

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's a good recipe, MowMow. One of the simpler ones I've seen! I may try it.

Marie, because you asked :D, I just use whatever veggies I have on hand, puree in blender, add a protein and calcium source, and spread onto the fruit rollup tray to dry. You don't want it too wet or it'll take forever to dry. I know that's getting OT :D, however, the same process would apply for dog/cat treats if you have a mushy mixture. I like the chicken pieces mentioned upthread too. Oh yeah, and I cut off some lavender stems that I've been meaning to dry for potpourri. Maybe it's time to get the Nesco out again.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Neat idea! you can make trail mix, granola...

Dehydrated banana slices are a REAL treat! Sweet, banana-ey...

Question. A friend's 12 year old son was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Of course, this means he has to alter his diet. could dehydrated fruit be a substitute for candy?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the 4 tray Excalibur dehydrator. It's what all the (human) raw foodists use to make flax chips and fruit leather :)

4 Tray - Dehydrators

I made a big batch of chicken jerky in it and the jerky turned out perfect!

You also might be able to get a real cheap, round dehydrator from Walmart. I think that's what a lot of hunters use for making deer jerky.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also: If you are going to be putting meat in the dehydrator, you might want to go high end or not at all. If you get a dehydrator with bad circulation, you might be making dried, rotten meat :/

If the meat stays under 145 degrees F for too long, harmful bacteria will start to grow. I used to work at a deli, so I know all the official meat knowledge haha. Between 45 and 145 degrees is the "danger zone," according to all the food safety videos :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts