Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm new to kitty ownership and we adopted a 4yo male american curl 1 week ago. I love him to bits and want to make sure I do right by him. He is all up on vax and is fixed. We will be going to the vet on Monday, but I was hoping you all could help me with some questions I have.

Trying to read all the posts on food..he is a bit on the thin side (something I will bring up with the vet) We bought just dry cat food from the grocery (Purina) but what would be the best option for him? I definitely need to order it from a place that ships to an APO (military in Japan). I'm not too concerned about price, but if it's too outrageous DH will say something. He's not quite a cat lover.
How often do you feed him? Right now I just make sure his bowl is filled every morning. The pkg says 1C for his weight (10lbs). At the shelter, there were just bowls of food that they refilled 3x a day. I don't know that he got his fair share all the time.
He has a spot on his nose that he rubs constantly. My friend thought it might be ringworm, so we have been putting cream on it. His hair is growing back, but you can tell he rubs it as every morning when I get up, it's brown. Could he just be rubbing through his food at night? I know dogs do this. I'd hate to think he's nosing his BM.
He has also had a few really bad sneezes with lots of green snot. He doesn't have discharge in the eyes or nose, just he gets this really strong sneeze and snot flies.
Could he maybe have something stuck in his nose that is causing him to sneeze and rub the top of his nose as if he was trying to get it out? I'm sure going to ask the vet to look.

Thanks for any help! :cat

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Most canned food is better than dry kibble. Cats are carnivores and don't need grains--no wheat,corn, rice or soy. If it's too expensive to feed him canned food, try to find a dry kibble that says "no grains".

It sound like he has an upper respiratory infection, because he's sneezing and has a greenish discharge, so may have infection. Glad to hear you're taking him to see a vet. Vet will likely prescribe medication or give him antibiotic shot. He should get his first regular set of shots at any rate. He should also be checked for worms. When you go to the vet take a fresh stool sample with you, so vet can check it under a microscope for parasites. They could be making him thin. It's possible he does have ringworm on his nose. This is contagious to people as well, so make sure you wash your hands well. It wouldn't be brown from him "sticking it in his BM", cats don't do things like that.

Thanks for adopting him and I'm sure he will be fine after he gets fixed up with some medication. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts