Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Toby is yet again back at the vet for another overnighter...I talked to the vet today and looks like I might of just been worried over nothing, but he is still pushing a high fiber diet and I really need some suggestions if anyone knows of a canned food that is higher in fiber than others, because I see most are like 1-1.5% ...is there any higher than that? Im trying to avoid a fiber supplement until he is a little older, although im not even sure what form that comes in, the tech told me about a patient that needs a fiber supplement who is also a manx cat. Any suggestions are welcome...

Ps. We only have one petstore in town, locally owned and operated and do not carry every type of cat food so if you do have a suggestion could you please leave a website that I would be able to order some off from..thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
100% organic pumpkin (not pie filling)- not too sure how much to add to the food as you have an itty bitty kitty.

You should be able to find pumpkin in the stores soon as it will be in season shortly but you can get special pumpkin for pets (bit pricey)
Nummy Tum Tum Pet Products: Home
Fruitables® Pet Food - Official Site

I think you can get these online at:
Only Natural Pet Store - Dogs Cats Holistic Supplies Products Food Treats Vitamins Medicine Supplements

Other folks on here I am sure have good suggestions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is Toby at the vet for?
He was initially brought in for a swollen anus, he stayed overnight and was given a steriod med, the next day I brought him home and the swelling went down almost completely... this morning he started having blood around his anus and he seemed to be really straining to poop, but when I talked to the vet today he said he seemed to be passing stool just fine and perhaps the blood was crusting over the opening making it harder for him to push it out. He basically told me that Toby is not out of the woods and only time will tell if he will have colon problems from being completely tailless. But he wants him to be on a high fiber diet and im not sure where to get high fiber foods. I have heard of the pumpkin, wasnt sure if there was an actual canned food that specifically was made with higher fiber. I was given a couple cans of prescription canned food for gastrointestinal issues. Will hopefully be getting Toby back tomorrow morning and maybe could ask the vet if he knows of any...

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Canned foods labeled "indoor formula" will typically have a higher percentage of fiber. For example; Natural Balance Indoor is 2%. The difference between 1.5% and 2% doesn't seem significant until you look at it on a dry matter basis. But...a lot of the high end foods don't have indoor formulas. So adding pumpkin, psyllium or slippery elm is probably a lot easier, provides a consistent amount that you control and allows you to provide a wider variety of food choices. You can just mix it in with whatever canned food you choose.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I've been on fiber therapy for over 10 years, I take the generic version of Metamucil,
1 tablespoon in a glass of water twice a day.
If you don't drink it right away it gels in the glass.
For a kitten the dose would be really small 1/4 teaspoon or less mixed in their food.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I will check into all suggestions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nature's Variety Instinct canned has 3% fiber.

I normally buy it on Amazon.com with the "subscribe and save" 15% discount. When I need to buy individual cans (for trying new flavors/varieties without committing to a full case), I'll order from OnlyNaturalPet.com.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts