Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted two rescues about three months ago. It definitely took some time for them to adjust to each other, but now they are doing great together. Now they play very nicely together, sleep together and groom each other. The 6 month old has been struggling with diarrhea and loose stools that are sometimes bloody. Over the last week or so he has started over grooming and the hair on his sides is now getting thin. His vet thinks it is from stress. My cats are actually quite spoiled though, they get a lot of attention, have a ton of toys and my routine is pretty consistant. He has been wormed, put on probiotics, put on antibiotics and is now being given a drug that will help with both pain and and mellow him out. He eats well, has lots of energy, is extremely affectionate and does not act sick or stressed out. His vet thinks he is too young for a food allergy or intolerance. I do not see evidence of hives but he does scratch a lot and I have been wondering if something in his diet is the culprit.

Has anyone here had a young cat that developed a food intolerance? If so how did it develop?

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Reactions: Kiki's Mom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, Jenna, i would try a different cat food, slowly moving cat off of whatever you are feeding him now. Oddly enough, many vets are lacadaisical at best about pet nutrition.
I do not know why a young cat could not have a food allergy? :unsure: Why not? 🤷‍♀️

I have been feeding my cat BFF wet food OMG "oh my gravy"
as it has a soupy texture. Other canned foods? she licks off the gravy and leaves the food.:rolleyes:
sigh.
but with OMG food she can not lick it off ---------as it is kind of a soup. Kind of.

and also i give her some Orijen kibble (the first 15 ingredients are all meats of all kinds, organs,and even whole animals put in)
but after reading that article above posted by Catloverami, i might have to reconsider that kibble. I use it mostly for her cat food puzzles which she adores.
and some Orijen treats which are also almost entirely meat as well. Very limited ingredients in those treats. but maybe i need to rethink what i feed Kiki too!

Cat treats are usually HORRIBLE :poop:and if you give her cat treats? you might want to rethink those as potential offenders too.

You might want to try a limited ingredient food and see how she does? you might want to slowly transition her over, a bit at a time.
what do you have to lose?
My own cat loathes the limited ingredient foods, i tried several brands, and Kiki just does not like the taste i guess. but i am happy enough with my cans of BFF OMG canned foods i guess but i notice now that it has potato starch in it.
I guess i too, need to rethink my cat's food!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts