Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a question...
So last time we left the cats, we had a sitter come in once a day. Since they were on all wet, we didn't want to diverge from that, but since they were being fed 3 times a day, we didn't see how that could work. So we left out dry and told sitter to do the same (after she had given them wet). Well, that ended up being a mistake. When Justin is on dry, the amount of his poop doubles at least. The kitties ended up having accidents on the floor and continued to do so even after we got back. Now, some of that may have been because the litterbox was covered and Justin was ambushing Stormy in it (we have it uncovered now). But anyway, I still think the amount of pooping was huge and plus I really hate to change their diet like that.
We now have them only getting wet twice a day and I don't think we can go any less than that. They do seem to be eating the food more all at once, rather than eating some and coming back for more 10 minutes later.
So my question is, what should I do when we have the petsitter coming again this weekend? Tell her to feed wet only? (I don't know if they will eat enough in the 30 minutes she is there and I'm afraid they will be hungry.) Tell her to feed mostly wet and a little dry? (Justin will scarf up the dry the second it is put out, I'm afraid.)
Any suggestions are appreciate! (P.S. We can't really afford to have the sitter come more than once a day.)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
You know those plastic frosty type mugs that have the liquid inside that can be frozen and then they keep your drink cold for a really long time?

I recently saw those made into bowls.

Maybe you could have her put it out in one of those and just hope for the best?

I must confess there are times that I feed my cats at night and forget to go back and pick up the bowl. Everytime I do that, I wake up in the morning and the bowl is empty and the cats are alright. I'm not advocating this, but I'm just saying...it's only a weekend, it's not like you are doing it all the time...sometimes....just SOMETIMES you're options are limited and you can only do so much.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have the same problem when I travel. If I have the sitter leave dry out, then they all pork out and gain 3 pounds and look terrible. But...it's expensive and inconvenient to have someone come in twice a day (though that of course is the best option).

Lately I have been experimenting a bit with leaving the wet food out. Now that the weather is much cooler I'm not concerned with spoilage. Once it gets crusty they don't eat any more, but they do seem to eat quite a bit more than they would in just 30 minutes.

So, you *could* have them just put out a big pile of wet food and leave it at that. I just hate leaving the dry food out because they do it it first, and then the canned goes to waste anyway.

You might want to experiment with once-a-day feedings like this a couple of times so you can see how much they eat; plus then it won't a total shock to them!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, Stormy has us wrapped around her little paw so that even twice a day feedings is pushing it. When she gets hungry, she meows incessantly. If hubby ignores her, she then proceeds to chew on all his electronics (he has lots of stuff he is working on at home now and some of it has to stay out...she jumps on his desk and starts chewing on wires). If that doesn't work, she goes to lick up the dried crust of the last meal out of the bowl and he feels sorry for her and then feeds her. If I'm home taking a nap, she jumps on me and meows in my ear.
So bad! 8O :)
But anyway, I think maybe we will tell the sitter to put out a lot of wet food when she comes and right before she leaves, just put out a little dry. I'm sure they won't starve from once a day feedings, they'll probably just think they are!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to update and let everyone know that leaving out the wet food seemed to be okay. The petsitter wrote that when she came in on the second day, all the wet food was gone. However, it was funny because on the 3rd day, she put that Justin didn't eat much canned food and that she thought he knew that she was going to give him dry! How typical!
Anyway, we were only having her leave out 1/2 cup of dry so hopefully it was okay.
I'm now forever indebted to this sitter now also, because she came in on Monday at last minute notice. I couldn't drive back in time because I had the stomach virus from *&%$ :evil:

·
Registered
465 Posts
OH BOY !! I'm going to be facing a similar problem. My wife and I are going to Austriala in December for 19 days!!!! 8O Not really sure how to handle it. Ive found local petsitting services but since I'm trying to get both my kittens on a wet only diet they will have to come 2 times a day. OUCH!!! As if the trip wasnt expensive enough. Maybe I should keep them on a combination wet/dry until we get back. plus I hope they dont forget who we are since we'll be gone for so long :cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts