Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying different types of canned food for Miss Fussypants Lu, and I had FINALLY found one that she ate all of (Nature's Variety Homestyle in lamb/liver and chicken/tuna! WooHoo!!:catmilk
I only had 2 cans of it so she had it for about 4-5 days and during that time everything was good stools were solid and barely stinky....
The night before last I tried Natural Balance chicken&liver pate (both things she's had before but she's never had this brand of food before) and the next afternoon her stools were like water :?. She didn't eat much of the food (cuz she's that picky lol) but she still ate some....could her diarrhea be caused by that canned??
She still had another diarrhea poop in there this morn but other than that shes her happy, alert, active usual self.
The only other things I can think of is the heat (high 30's celsius here) but we have air, or a duck jerky treat I gave (but the diarrhea occured literally minutes after).
Please help!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hmm I don't feed the kitties Nature's Balance anymore so I can't answer specific to that brand, but I have noticed on nights when they have the chicken & liver version of their food (Weruva) that Pedro has loose stool several hours later. It wouldn't say it's diarrhea, but it's definitely loose enough to get stuck in his bum fluff. Apple has soft stool, but if it weren't that I was noticing Pedro's I probably wouldn't have noticed at all.

I wonder if it's actually the liver part of it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!!
I'm hoping that's what it is :( I'm not too worried yet as she's not sleeping more or less active than usual (that's when I know I need to take her in!) And she is MAD at me for not giving her more canned or treats! LOL
I'm just going to avoid Natural Balance I think...

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Any change of food or brand should be done gradually litttle by little, over several days to avoid digestive upsets. I can't speak to that particular brand, but cats do have a shorter digestive track than a human, and food passes through fairly quickly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm I thought when feeding canned that rule of switching gradually didn't apply?
I feed canned and dry, but right now dry is the bulk of her diet (grain free) as I could never find a canned she would eat (along with $$).
I've always fed different brands and flavors of canned and she never had a reaction (they were low or grain free)like this before. And I switch the brand of grain free dry every couple months or as long as it takes to get to a quarter of a 5lbs bag(gradually over a week). I've never tried Natural Balance before so I thought I would and it was after that that the diarrhea started. Granted she barely eats the canned when she doesn't like it but she will eat some...
Like I said I will most likely avoid the Natural Balance and just stick to the canned she actually did eat!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Is there a reason that you stopped feeding Nature's Variety Homestyle in lamb/liver and chicken/tuna? It seems she responded well to those.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got 2 cans to try first and haven't been able to get to the store to get more LOL. This week is not my week for having a vehicle and it's too hot to bring the kiddies for that far of a walk....but I will be going tonite to get more as my fiance is off early (due to heat) WOO HOO my poor girl has been crying for her canned food!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Buy lots :) If you only have car access every other week I'd buy two weeks worth. Then you have a cushion. Once upon a time Franklin was eating an Rx Venison diet and all of a sudden the manufacture stopped shipping it. I went to every vet clinic in Manhattan and bought them out of their stock :) I still had lots left when they started shipping it again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts