Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is long:

Thus far, I've been feeding my kittens Blue Wilderness, Weruva, Wellness (both the canned version and the pouches), and Nature's Variety Instinct. Well, they haven't had the Nature's Instinct yet, but they will. I'm going to add more as I find them, but for now I think these will work for their rotations.

Anyway, should I be switching up flavors between the brands or is it okay to stick with pretty much the same flavors?

For instance, if I bought just chicken and turkey for each brand, would that be okay? I haven't been doing that. I start with chicken for all brands and then move from there if they eat it...usually turkey next and then whatever other flavors look keen to me.

I'm also wondering if I should switch up flavors throughout the day. I usually feed them one can of whatever a day, but they're no longer eating their second meal. They'll eat the first one just fine, but when I put down the rest of the can, they look at me like, "Really? We just had this...No thanks." And they won't eat it until they believe they're starving. I put both meals on plates and make sure I warm up the second one a bit. I add a tiny bit of water to both (I have an irrational fear that they'll dehydrate) and mush it up (most are pate-styled) so that it looks good.

Today I just happened to put down a different flavor of food to try and entice Finn to eat (he LOVES the Weruva Chicken), and Katniss devoured her portion, which is unusual (Finn did not, but I think he has an upset tummy :/)

So should I start changing up flavors throughout the day? And if so, how do I go about saving the rest of the can safely?

I think I have picky picky kitties. They're too spoiled.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I mean, it's perfectly fine to feed another flavor later for their second meal of the day (though they should preferably have more than two), but just know that it will encourage them to expect a second flavor. I don't change flavors during the day because then I find him looking at me like 'I had that Yesterday, what you doing woman? :|' and then I have 3-4 cans open... xD
Believe me, they may give you sad faces but they won't starve themselves. =P

If you do change flavors, the rest of the can is fine to sit in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for a week. So no worries. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I only feed them two meals of wet food as they have dry out all the time. Katniss is actually leaving today for her new home, so Finnick will be getting more wet meals now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts