Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, as you all know, I have Shug on dry food right now, but,
do intend on changing it asap. Therefore, I'm going to buy her some wet food as I go out today. (we're going to be in town today for eye doctor appointments anyhow).

Are there any suggestions on what types I should buy (and yes, I'm stuck buying at walmart :?)?
I'll be checking the ingredients while I'm there, but I also would like my kitty friends' options as well. :kittyturn

Also, whenever I give it to her, should I feed it to her with it in the can, or get a bowl for it by itself?
Because if I place it in her current bowl, I'd have to clean it everyday, because I think that the wet food would cause lots of bacteria if not cleaned out daily.

Her current bowl is similar to this: http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/taking_care_of_kitten_slideshow/istock_photo_of_kitten_drinking_water.jpg

·
Super Moderator
26,518 Posts
Since her water should be emptied out and changed every day, you could do that when you wash her dish each day.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
The best food that Walmart carries is Newman's Own, the rest is all low quality.

And yes...put it in a dish and wash it before every meal.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ohh I didn't even realize they carried Newman's Own at Walmart. That's definitely better than the other stuff I've seen there.

And yup, washing the bowl regularly is important. I wash my cats' bowls after each meal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You know you don't actually have to use a bowl for wet food....we use stainless steel bowls for water and dry food, but we use little 6 inch plates from our own dishes for the cats, and then we just put them in the dish washer with everything else. We never used those plates much anyway, so it works for everyone.

Don't forget - since she will not be eating an ENTIRE can of food in one meal (esp. a 5.5 oz can), you'll need to cover the rest of the can and refrigerate it. And then when you feed her the refrigerated portion, you may want to heat it in the microwave for 10 or 15 seconds (depending on your microwave)...cats do not tend to enjoy cold food very much.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Yellowdaisies is right. While you're @ walmart look for the rubber or plastic cat food can covers so you can just stick the can in the fridge until the next feeding. When I was feeding canned I got mine from petfood direct and they are a rubbery material. I could stick them in the dishwasher when I'm done with them (they came in a two pack so there was always a clean one available).

Yes, wash the food bowl EVERY time she's done eating. You have to wash the water side once or twice a day anyway so it isn't a big deal. Takes maybe 30 seconds to soap it up and rinse if off well..... I feed Mow out of either stainless steel bowls (I have like 4 tiny ones) or one of 3 glass salad plates I got cheap. After he's done they go straight into the dishwasher with my dishes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Krissy - I didn't even know those cat food covers existed until a couple days ago - we had been putting the cans into ziploc baggies. I was at our favorite locally owned pet store and the woman ringing me up said, "Hey, do you want some free covers for your cans?" I was way more thrilled than is probably normal. ;) haha.

Ana, I'm sorry if this is redundant, because I think you've been asked before - but can you order food online? It honestly might very well be cheaper than Newman's Own (even with shipping), and you could get a greater variety of premium brands. There's pet food direct, and Amazon.com actually has a ton of pet food, as well. Also, I think they are still doing this - college students get free Amazon prime membership for a year. If you sign up somewhere on their site using your school e-mail, you get free two day shipping for a year! :) I am in grad school, so I was able to do this with my school e-mail back in August. I've ordered quite a few pet toys on there...

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My vet gave me a can topper... but I always heard you're not supposed to keep food in metal containers in the fridge because chemicals can leach out into the food.
I stick with putting it in little tupperware things. Plus, you can just go straight from fridge to microwave to warm it up, when in plastic containers! And Nebbie eats out of the containers... Paizly acts as if she can't get her face in there, so I "have" to put hers in her regular bowl.

·
Registered
249 Posts
why do you want to feed your cat walmarts junk, unhealthy for your cat.

i buy natural balance for my cat mostly. ....sometimes i will get evo and wellness, but rocky seems to go for natural balance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts