Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie (my 7yo American Curl) is allergic to everything. We moved back to the States and took him to a new vet. The right side of his nose had a blockage so no air was getting in or out. He had a rhinoscopy and it was just a huge ball of snot! Since he was on LI duck and pea, our local petstore suggested we try raw. We did the slow changeover and he's been getting Nature's Instinct Duck 2 medallions in the morning and 2 at night. He still is a little less than 10lbs and the vet would like him up to 12.
Well, my food snob is my 1yo Japanese Bobtail, Jack. He was ok with the raw through the first bag. Though he did prefer if I heated it for a few sec in the microwave. Now he won't eat it at all. Smells it and turns his nose up. He has become a scavenger extraordinaire and will eat almost anything he can get his mitts on. I've never had to lock up the garbage can and could leave all of Thanksgiving dinner on the counter unattended. But now, he found my defrosting meat under the sink strainer and somehow got under all the dishes, pulled it out and was eating it! He has no allergies/issues. Is he just a food snob and HAS to eat something else? I know he is hungry since he's taken to dumpster diving, but why won't he eat it now?
As it is, Charlie is eating all his food and Jack's.
Anyone have this problem?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
If he's interested in actual meat rather than commercial raw, you might want to consider feeding raw using the Frankenprey or whole prey method. You can learn about that in the Raw Forum.

As a side note, meat should be defrosted in the fridge not on the counter (or under the dishes).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know that I could handle the frankenprey. I read through the raw forum and the frozen bits is as close as I can get. I had to kill a rabbit once and have had an issue with meat since then. Yes, I am a wussy.

I was using the water method, so he was a bit wet. I read that was ok if you needed it defrosted faster than in the fridge. o_O is that incorrect?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts