Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a good quality wet food with a texture similar to Weruva? (and preferably not fish)

Violet won't touch pâté or sliced. She'll pick at chunks in gravy but really prefers the shredded.

We're both happy with the Weruva but I'd like to supplement with something a bit higher calorie until she stops growing.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm not aware of any other high-quality food with a texture similar to Weruva. My girls are like Violet...they won't touch pâté or sliced, and when I feed them chunks with gravy, they just lick up the gravy and leave the chunks. They are fussy to the nth degree! I normally feed Weruva. That said, I recently starting giving them some of the new Wellness "minced" food, and they seem to like that. Aside from Weruva, it's the only wet food that they'll eat. It's not the same texture as Weruva, but it's not the same as pâté or sliced either. You might buy a small can and see if Violet likes it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll drop by the pet food store on my way home from work and give the Wellness minced a try.

Also, it just occurred to me that I might be able to trick Her Pickiness if I mix it in with her beloved shredded Weruva. (Don't blame her for not wanting to touch the pate, that stuff just turns my stomach to even look at!)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Freshpet also makes a food that my Weruva loving kitties like. It's little balls of chicken with bits of carrot & spinach. I mix it with a bit of warm water and they are every bit as happy and excited about it as if I were to open a can or pouch of Weruva.

Does the minced Weruva have a higher calorie content? I haven't been able to find it here yet.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
SpellQ: Do you have the "Pet Valu" chain in Nova Scotia? If so, try there. Pet Valu is the only pet store that carries Weruva in Ontario (to the best of my knowledge), and they only started carrying it about a year ago.

·
Banned
154 Posts
I just discovered the Soulistic brand at Petco - I know it's made by the same people that make Weruva - mainly fish recipes, but they have two shredded chicken ones - chicken with pumpkin and spinach and plain chicken. I paid .89 a can for it which is a bargain.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yup we have PetValu out here, but they don't carry the minced flavours.

And wow we have something better than Ontario!? Rare! lol I have a neighbourhood store where I buy Weruva for 50c less a can AND they carry the pouches now. And often they have good sales - right now a 5oz can is only $1.69 and the pouches are only 89c! They don't carry the minced though either.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yup we have PetValu out here, but they don't carry the minced flavours.

And wow we have something better than Ontario!? Rare! lol I have a neighbourhood store where I buy Weruva for 50c less a can AND they carry the pouches now. And often they have good sales - right now a 5oz can is only $1.69 and the pouches are only 89c! They don't carry the minced though either.
PetValu in Ontario carries Weruva, but not the minced Wellness foods. I buy those at a chain called Global Pet Foods, but I don't know if they're in Nova Scotia.

Oh, and you have lots of things that are better than Ontario. An ocean for one thing! My parents used to live in Nova Scotia (Lower Sackville) and I often go to Halifax on business, so I've been to N.S. many times...beautiful province.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yup! The ocean is why I moved back to the maritimes (I grew up in NB)a few years back. I live right on the Bedford Basin in Bedford. After living in Ontario and feeling terribly parched all of the time I think I'm overcompensating by living so close to the water now. lol.

We do have Global Pet Foods here, but their locations are very inconvenient without a vehicle, but next week I'll be near one. I'd like to give these two gobble monsters other options for taste & texture so hopefully they'll have them so I can pick up a bundle to last a bit. They won't eat pate so options are limited! Is the consistency somewhere between the regular weruva and pate?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The best way I can describe the consistency of the minced Wellness is to say it's similar to a bowl of thick chili! It's really nothing like the consistency of Weruva, although it's the only wet food other than Weruva that my girls will eat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts