Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked Skylar up from the vet today and they gave me the news. He doesn't have a UTI, but he does have a few crystals in his urine. The vet said it's nothing major right now, but it will probably build up and could cause bladder stones if he isn't kept on a food designed for urinary health. He put him on Science Diet C/D for right now, but he told me after the bag is gone I'm free to switch to a different brand if I want to. I'm not a big fan of Science Diet, mostly because it's so expensive to feed and requires higher feeding amounts then the higher quality foods(he needs 3/4 cups vs 1/2 cup of the Natural Balance I was feeding him). Does anyone have any suggestions on brands I can research? I like foods that don't contain much corn or other fillers, and if possible would prefere holistic brands(like Natural Balance, Felidae, etc).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Well, my rule for crystals or any other urinary problem in cats is: NO dry food. At all. Period. The experts are pretty unanimous on this now, even though I said it first. Pfffsstt! :wink: Dry c/d is not nearly as effective as an all canned diet of any sort. (Do avoid fish flavors, though.) The moisture is important to keep the urine dilute, and the higher protein keeps the urine acidic.

For info on UTIs, diet, and all that jazz, guess what, I have an article about that! http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dr. Jean -- just out of curiosity -- why should fish-flavored foods be avoided?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I feed canned it doesn't matter what brand? I can mix some in with his dry, but I can't afford to feed pure canned. The good food costs atleast $.60/can, and Skylar would probably need atleast two cans a day-so that's $1.20/day just to feed him! That's why I feed him dry mostly, I don't have alot of money, and I really can't afford to feed pure canned food. It's so expensive! I may be ideal-but what's a good brand of dry to mix with it to bring the cost down?

·
Registered
282 Posts
You could always make your own raw food for him. Littlebigcat.com has some basic recipes, and you'll find more if you do a "BARF" (bones and raw food) search.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've thought about Barf, but it makes me nervious to feed raw meat. I've heard of animals getting sick after being fed on a Barf diet, so I rather avoid that. I'm considering a homemade cooked diet, but I'm no dietitian, so I'd be worried he wasn't getting the proper nutrition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts