Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice please. I have a 3 year old fixed female cat named Blackie. She is one of three cats in the house. I adopted her when she was 1 1/2 from a neighbor who was abusing her. The other cats in the house and her have been getting along fine. The problem is that within the last 3 months Blackie has started peeing on anything laying on the bathroom floor. I have two litter boxes and she will use them, but still pees in the bathroom. My husband caught her in the act this morning and put her in the litter box. He wants me to take her to the local shelter, but I cant bring myself to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions???

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would agree take her to the vet first cos there is no gurentee she will find an equally loving home if you send her to the shelter. Let us know what happens

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
First of all, make sure that there's nothing physically wrong with her, meaning take her to the vet for a check-up.

If it turns out she's fine, physically you have to start thinking about what could have trigged this behavior. Has there been any recent change in your house? Have you moved furniture, do you have any new family members (children, room mates, other pets) etc.

And make sure you clean the "pee-spots", you have to eliminate every little pee-particle.

Have you used any new solution when you've cleaned the litter box?

There are a number of reasons why a cat can start to "protest-pee" and it usually takes some time to figure out what caused the behavior and then you have to solve the problem. Leaving the cat to a shelter won't solve her problem, only yours. A cat that pees a little bit of everywhere isn't likely to find a new home, so leave her to a shelter and she'll probably stay there for the rest of her life if she's not euthanized.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent had her to the vet but made an appointment. I hope she will be healthy. The only change in the household is the addition of a 10 gallon fish tank over the weekend. I hope that didnt upset her. We will see what the vet says first and go from there. Thank you all so much. I cant take her to a shelter. She's like one of my kids now, so i will do what it takes to help her. Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Dirty clothes on the floor are a "pee magnet" even for many normal cats. Time for a new hamper! :lol:

But seriously, she is in the age range where you're likely to see urinary tract problems crop up (primarily ages 2-7). So a check-up at the vet is definitely in order.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Hope it all goes well at the vet. I know how you feel about not being able to give them up.... I wouldn't either! Let us know how it turns out. (((=

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can relate to your problem! Minnie also pees in the bathroom. If I leave a wet towel on the floor ecspeially. I do not like my home to be unclean, and I will not live in a home with urine all over it.
I think Minnie does it because she is not yet fixed, so hopefully when she gets fixed she will stop.
As far as your cat, it probably has to do with the stuff on the bathroom floor, I think they see us going in the bathroom, or smell it, so they think it is ok.

What I have done is to make sure there are no dirty clothes, towels or even a bath rug on the bathroom floor. I keep the bathroom extra clean, expeacilly the toilet and floor. I also spray everything with lysol evry day.
It seems to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D I just wanted to let anyone who posted a reply for me know that Blackie got a clean bill of health from her vet (thank goodness). I also wanted to say how happy i am to have found a place where people love cats as much as i do. As far as the problem we are having with her, we are going to try 1) keeping things off the bathroom floor as suggested..thank you!!, 2) we have purchased another litter box and put it in another area of the house and every time there is a " pee incident" we take her and put her in the new litter box. Hopefully this will work. As far as my hubby saying to take her to the shelter... well the next day he apologized and said he would never do that, he was just upset at having stepped in a puddle of pee! P.S. ... as soon as i figure out how to post pictures of our babies i will... we have 3 .. Blackie, Lucky, and Smokey. We also have a Chow named Bear. well i can twalk forever soo i will end by saying thanks again!!! :D

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Thank you for giving this wonderful cat a chance! It takes a lot of strength to deal with litter-box issues without getting very frustrated so I applaud you for that. I'm really glad that you husband cares for her too, that is a good sign. Good luck with the new routine, I really hope it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just an update on Blackie... we bought another litter box and the peeing on the bathroom floor seems to have stopped. thank you all very much for caring :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
sparkle said:
:D Ias soon as i figure out how to post pictures of our babies i will... we have 3 .. Blackie, Lucky, and Smokey. We also have a Chow named Bear. well i can twalk forever soo i will end by saying thanks again!!! :D
How cute, I have three cats named Blackie, Lucy and Dopey. I also recently got a fishtank (for the kitties to have TV) no puppy tho, my apt mgr won't let me have one =(

Are you my trans-dimensional twin?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts