Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am going to step off into the realm of Crazy Cat Lady with this one.. But everyone here loves their kitties, be they big or small, angels or Devils, regardless of color or breed. We all pet, rub, brush and groom them. But have you ever stopped and admired their whiskers? When I was growing up I was once told that the more whiskers on a cat the more "sensitive" they are.

Now the typical housecat has approx. 12-24 whiskers, not counting those above the eyes, under the chin or on their forlegs..

So as I was brushing the kitties, I set off on the most impossible task of counting whiskers (hey I had time to kill).. Here is what i came up with... Pepper has 13 on each cheek.. Black Jack came in at 14 each side, while from a photo of Sherbert I counted 17 each side.. SOOO I get to Gypsy.. I start counting, after a bit she get curious and starts wiggling them about so I lost count at 23 on her right side alone... Not sure I will ever find out how many she has.

So does that qualify me as a crazy cat lady or what?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Whiskers are an interesting subject, different cats have different length and shaped whiskers.
Samantha my late Maine **** Cat had very long 3 inches plus straight whiskers, on the other hand Chiquita my DSH has rather short whiskers that curve downward.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gypsy's whiskers are not straight and twist in weird directions.. Some are white but about a quarter are black so they don't show up on pics very well...

I do like how expressive cats are with just the whiskers. How they tend to stick straight out when the cats is "going somewhere" relaxed and forward if happy or curious.. or flat back when upset, angry or scared...ect.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Botany.. No, not yet. Close maybe. Now if you start counting hair . .. . well, you'd just be plain ol' crazy :)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Who cares how many whiskers their cats have. Bah.

*turns off screen so no one will see her counting Prince and Princess's whiskers*

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
numbers im not sure. but i have looked enough to notice that Boo has some white ones on one side, all others are black. Simba has one black whisker on each side, with all others white. The black whiskers happen to fall on the same 'hole' on both sides, symmetrical black whiskers lol. Boo has a lighter patch there so i think thats why a few of hers are white.

·
Registered
53 Posts
crazy cat ladys r hot

:smile:
Alright I am going to step off into the realm of Crazy Cat Lady with this one.. But everyone here loves their kitties, be they big or small, angels or Devils, regardless of color or breed. We all pet, rub, brush and groom them. But have you ever stopped and admired their whiskers? When I was growing up I was once told that the more whiskers on a cat the more "sensitive" they are.

Now the typical housecat has approx. 12-24 whiskers, not counting those above the eyes, under the chin or on their forlegs..

So as I was brushing the kitties, I set off on the most impossible task of counting whiskers (hey I had time to kill).. Here is what i came up with... Pepper has 13 on each cheek.. Black Jack came in at 14 each side, while from a photo of Sherbert I counted 17 each side.. SOOO I get to Gypsy.. I start counting, after a bit she get curious and starts wiggling them about so I lost count at 23 on her right side alone... Not sure I will ever find out how many she has.

So does that qualify me as a crazy cat lady or what?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do like how expressive cats are with just the whiskers. How they tend to stick straight out when the cats is "going somewhere" relaxed and forward if happy or curious.. or flat back when upset, angry or scared...ect.
I like this too. I first learned how expressive whiskers can be from a National Geographic documentary on domestic cat behavior. Since then I can tell from afar what kind of mood a kitty is in and have a good idea of what their intentions are. They really are important and amazing hairs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ok, ok, I've counted whiskers too. And eyebrows. It's one of the ways that I used to tell if Squiggy had been in a fight.

Max, an American long-hair made good use of just the usual dozen or so whiskers.

[/url]
maxwhiskers by clylet, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yoshi has lost a few whiskers over the past few months. We find them in places like on his blanket. They're pretty cool things....I was going to save them, but then thought better of it. I mean, I already have all his baby teeth in a zip lock bag! How's that for crazy cat lady....

Yoshi's whiskers tend to point downward on his face, which we thought was strange. And they are so **** long, for such a petite cat!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was always told, that a cats whiskers are as wide as there body, in other words if there head will fit through a hole with out there whiskers touching, then there body will fit through to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts