Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question. What happens when you meet a dog? Do you pick the cat up, or do you just carry on and hope for the best?

I'd like to think of walking Missy, partly to give her some enviromental stimulation, and partly to wear just the tips off those claws. She really loves them, but as yet I've not been able to trim them, in part because I don't think she take kindly to it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I leash-walk my cat. I've mostly done it indoors though so far. Last time we met some dogs when we were out, I had Milky in my arms without any leash or anything as we were just going out for a few minutes. I was really afraid he'd jump out of my arms and go for the dogs (as he thinks he's capable of handling them!!) and what made it worse was that the dogs all had bells on their collars, which got Milky's attention even more. I just walked faster and hoped for the best, but he ended up just looking their way and not even trying to move from my arms.

If it ever happens that I'm out walking the cat and we meet a dog, I will pick him up and walk away, just in case... you never know what may happen.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
When I have walked Egypt, she doesn't like to go too far away from the house itself...maybe 12-15 feet away max. She likes to just explore all the nooks and crannies of and around the house. When dogs do pass, she retreats back into the driveway where she knows it's safe.

I have tried walking her aroud the block and if we did encounter a dog, my plan was to pick her up and hold her close until the dog went away.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Heh, the first thing I noticed about walking my cat was that you really don't walk your cat - your cat totally walks you. They're nothing like dogs, who seem to be happy to be actually going somewhere. All the times I've walked my cats they just seem to really want to patrol their territory, so they always want to stay pretty close to home. Unfortunately they don't feel the need to patrol the side walk - they want to walk through the neighbors bushes, across his driveway, maybe sharpen their claws on his tree or have a nice pee in his flower beds :roll:

And whenever something frightens them, like a dog or car or something, they always go running full tilt towards the front door to be let back inside. It's made me worry that if we went too far from home (far enough to lose sight of it) and something scared them, what would they do? If they were so frightened they fought their way lose from the harness, and couldn't remember the way back home... So I decided never to take them very far from the front door, and to be honest they don't seem to care. In fact I finally set up a tether for them in the backyard this summer, and they LOVE it because it's quiet back there, there's lots of birds to watch, grass to chew, and they have about 40ft of tether to move around without having my slow butt attached to them :p

In my experience they really love being outside, but don't worry about coming upon on a dog because you'll most likely stay pretty close to home. And forget about staying on the sidewalk - they will probably be much more interested in crawling through bushes and walking on other people's lawns.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I have leash trained cats, and it's fine to do in a backyard to let them explore and sniff, but taking them out on a sidewalk where you may meet dogs is another matter. Things can happen very quickly with cats, and they can freak out, really dig in their claws if you try and hold them and give some nasty scratches. It often doesn't take much.....a dog, a motorcycle passing by, a noisy truck, a jogger to freak out a cat. It's a disaster waiting to happen, from a cat being mauled by a dog to running away and getting lost. Don't take the chance, a frightened cat can get away from you or even wriggle out of a harness. A safer alternative on a street is a pet stroller, it doesn't give them quite the same freedom, but they do enjoy taking in the sights and scents. I'd confine leash walking to your backyard or a very quiet area in a large park where you're not likely to find dogs or joggers.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I've never leash trained a cat but Blacky does go on walks with us, since she's not on a leash she kind of does her own thing but the few times I've picked her up when a dog or a car is coming she frantically tried to get away (claws! ouch!), so I'd say don't pick them up if you can help it and try to go to unpopulated areas.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'm pretty lucky in that my apartment complex doesn't allow dogs. It never occurred to me what I'd do if he ran into a dog. I probably would pick him up and turn around so my back was to the dog and my body was a 'barrier' until it passed and was safely out of range.

The times he DID get scared (a loud car or someone yelling across the parking lot) he would rush towards the closest set of hedges/bushes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm envious of anyone that can get their kitty to walk on a leash. I have tried to walk my kitty, but he will not comply. No matter how I try. I have video of me trying to walk him - he ended up just laying on the ground as I dragged him.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It depends on the situation and the dog. If the dog looks like it's going to hold a very high interest in Samantha, I pick her up, to be safe. But Samantha loves meeting new animals and people, so usually she's just fine meeting dogs. We were at Petco once, and she marched right up to this big Lab to say hello. She really has little fear, and wants to meet everyone...I'm the careful one. :p

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'm envious of anyone that can get their kitty to walk on a leash. I have tried to walk my kitty, but he will not comply. No matter how I try. I have video of me trying to walk him - he ended up just laying on the ground as I dragged him.
MowMow was like that the first three or four times I took him out. He laid there for AGES terrified. I just sat on the grass and and read a book and held on to the leash. *EVENTUALLY* he would start to venture a few steps (and then lay down again). I did get him used to the harness inside first. That was hilarious in itself. Each time he stood up wearing it he would just fall over...then stand up...and fall over.... it took a few weeks for him to realize he could move and wasn't being choked to death.

Now he lays for a few moments and then starts to slink around...then he'll actually walk for me to follow him.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Toby goes in to full cat freak-out mode by anything strange. If I even hear a car coming down our cul-de-sac I pick him up and hold him close until the car passes. - so yes, the same with a dog.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Each time he stood up wearing it he would just fall over...then stand up...and fall over.... it took a few weeks for him to realize he could move and wasn't being choked to death.
This made me lol, seriously. I gave Apollo a few weeks to get used to the scent of his harness before ever putting it on him. When I finally did, I laughed so hard but felt so bad because he would get up, fall over, lay there for a moment and meow at me, get up, fall over. And then he started walking funny and low to the ground until he figured out that he had free range to move around.

He's never been scared of anything except freight trucks, motorcycles and the like. Even if we're inside and he hears one he will duck for cover. When I used to walk him, he only stayed out back, where my psycho neighbor has a neurotic mini-pinscher that barks and flips out over the grass blowing in the wind. There was only one time where we ran into this dog, and Apollo's hair rose in a split second and he laid low to the ground, but never took off thankfully. I just picked him up and let him sit on my shoulder as I walked him back to my apartment, so I guess I got lucky at that point.

I agree that it's better to just stay close to your own house/apartment so there's less chance of running into something that can put your cat in danger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would never think of walking Mercury away from my own property-for all the reasons people have named.
He does enjoy going around our land, which is about 1 1/2 acres.
BTW, he is never allowed outside without me with him but you wouldn't know it by the way he runs to the door every time it is opened. We also have to only open windows at the top as he can smell an open window from the other side of the house and will jump up on the sill (if open at the bottom) and push the screen out and jump out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the imput folks. I've decided that keeping her to my own property would be best if I do get a leash for her. Somebody a couple of weeks ago mentioned harnesses for small dogs, so I might investigate those because Missy is a large cat. She would be difficult to pick up in a hurry out on the street. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts