Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Neither Ford nor Ogilvy & Mather are taking responsibility for this video getting out, yet at least one (and I'm guessing both) of them is responsible for making it. Someone or, more likely, several someones thought this ad was a good idea at one point in time. Now that they're getting a negative backlash both companies are denouncing it. Despicable.

Just one more reason a Ford will never grace my driveway.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
And nobody would ever consider making such a video involving a dog, but they think it's funny and socially acceptable to pick on cats.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
werd up, I don't understand why it's so 'cool' to hate cats.

You may be right, Annissa. I read on another site that Ford approved the ad to illustrate the dangers of moonroofs :roll:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I really dont think that such a HUGE company as Ford, with all the money that goes into their marketing and ad campaigns, would do something so stupid, I think that it somehow leaked without Ford's permission. If they did do that, then that is absolutely terrible, and they had to have known that people werent going to like it. I dunno, i have mixed feelings. I trust ford, as i have a shiny 64 1/2 mustang which has been in my family since day one sitting in my driveway right now, but, on the other hand, there is a Ford vehicle in the ad, and that is just wrong. whoever may be responsible for this ad, may it be Ford or someone else, i hope they really recieve some negative consequences.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I doubt it would be Ford - stock photography of Ford products is available to anyone on the net, and could have been used in that animation.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Many people also think that New Coke was a marketing gimmick to get more people drink more Coke. Unfortunately the truth of the matter is it was a huge marketing gaffe. Diet Coke was beating Coca-Cola in the Cola Wars. The Coca-Cola company decided that people enjoyed the taste of Diet Coke more and decided to reformulate Coca-Cola to taste more like it. Huge mistake. But that's all it was...a mistake.*

If Coke can make such a mistake, so can Ford. I would have a lot more respect for Ford and their marketing company if one, the other, or both would just say, "Hey, we misjudged our audience, we apologize and we'll never do it again."

*Cite: "Ready, Blame, Fire: Myths and Misses in Marketing" by Ira Blumenthal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Annissa said:
The Coca-Cola company decided that people enjoyed the taste of Diet Coke more and decided to reformulate Coca-Cola to taste more like it.
Pepsi! They were trying to make it taste more like Pepsi. Diet coke had cut into the Coca Cola market share and they were on the verge of losing the right to say they had the most popular soft drink (even though they made diet coke too). Taste tests showed people liked the tasete of Pepsi better so they made the change and suffered the backlash.

How is this for a scenario:

A couple of jokers at the ad company think it would be a hoot to show a cat getting decapitated (not for an ad, just for a joke). They decide it's so funny they send it to two friends who send it to two friends etc.

I don't know. I never saw the add. I just hope it wasn't authorized by Ford because I own one.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I don't mean to sound argumentative, Robert, but the book said that New Coke was designed to taste like Diet Coke. Diet Coke is one of the only (possibly *the* only) diet version of a pop to not be formulated to taste like the original. That's why it split the cola wars into three factions; Coke drinkers were switching to Diet Coke. The Coca Cola Company assumed that consumers preferred the taste of Diet Coke and reformulated Coke to taste more like it. They were sorely mistaken. I remember when Coke 2 came out they said it was supposed to have "all the sweetness of Pepsi." Maybe that's the one you're thinking about?

I can see your Ford scenario and that could very well have been what went down. It would be pretty stupid, though, because the entire point of viral marketing is to have everyone you send it to send it to everyone on their email list. But then, people do stupid things every day. :)

I quit drinking pop a few months ago, but I do miss Coca-Cola.

·
Registered
41 Posts
New Coke

Sorry if this is getting off topic.

Annissa, I don't think people discussing opposing views is argumentative so no problem there.

I did some more research and I think we may both be correct depending on how you look at it (technically I guess you are more correct than I).

Coke had been losing market share to Pepsi since the end of WW2. You may remember the "Pepsi Challenge" ad campaign that took advantage of the fact that Pepsi was coming out way ahead of Coke in blind taste tests.

You are absolutely correct RE the fact that Diet Coke was a completely new flavor. Instead of taking out the sugar and then trying to make it taste like the original they created a totally new flavor that tasted much more like Pepsi (Coincidence? I think not -- PS This is not my personal opinion, see source below).

When they formulated New Coke it wasn't just made to taste like Diet Coke...it was Diet Coke with the artificial sweeteners replaced with sugar (OK, with high fructose corn syrup).

I got this info from the urban legend website www.snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp

They have a whole section devoted to Coke lore including New Coke (aka Coke II which I was surprised to find is still available in a few small markets).

The Coca Cola website verifies the loss of market share to "a major competitor". They don't make any mention of trying to make there product more like there competition but then I wouldn't expect them to.

I love Coke (you can call it Coca Cola Classic if you want but there is only one Coke for me so I don't bother with the full name).

If you don't mind my asking, what book were you referencing?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You gotta love snopes! My co-workers are constantly writing to me and asking me to check out the latest gossip they got in their email.

I remember seeing Coke II being sold at my local Albertson's when I used to live in Washington (the state, not D.C.). I never tried it, though. I never really thought about it, but I guess Diet Coke does have some similarities to Pepsi. Diet Coke certainly has the lighter (for lack of a better word) taste that Pepsi has, but it doesn't seem so sweet to me. Probably because the lack of corn syrup in the recipe. But I always preferred Coke because of the heavier taste and the thicker consistency.

I cited "Ready, Blame, Fire: Myths and Misses in Marketing" by Ira Blumenthal in my original post about it, but it's in small green letters at the bottom of my post. Always cite your sources, I say. :)

Oh, and if I haven't done it already, I'd like to welcome you to Cat Forum. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't notice the source on your original post.

My friends used to mass forward emails and I would send a reply with a link to the relevant snopes article and a request that they check these things BEFORE they send out a mass forward of the typically incorrect email.

I don't know if they actually started checking the facts first or if they just stopped including my address in the forward!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Re: Thanks!

robertr4836 said:
I don't know if they actually started checking the facts first or if they just stopped including my address in the forward!
Hey, whatever works. :wink:

Welcome to the site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts