Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what can turn two best-friend cats into enemies. Their story:

One female (Raven) and one male (Chucky), both fixed as early as could be. We had Raven first, got her at 8 weeks old, and got Chucky (at 6 weeks old) about 7 months later. Chucky was in bad shape when we got him and Raven, only a few months old herself, transformed into Mama and nursed him to health. They were best friends ever since, always cuddling together, grooming each other, helping each other out, etc. Yes, there were occasional spats, usually play-related since Chucky grew to be so much bigger than her, sometimes he didn't know his own strength and things would get out of control, but these incidents were few and far between.

They are now 5 and 6 years old. In the last maybe, 8-10 months or so, they fight constantly. They no longer cuddle & groom each other as friends, they don't even like going into the same room if the other one is there. Their fighting is becoming more and more vicious, I'm afraid they're really going to hurt each other. There's no obvious pattern as to who starts it, they both have their moments. There's been no other obvious changes to environment, food, or anything at all that I can think of.

I'm wondering if it can be sexual, even though they're fixed. Or if it can be territorial even though we've lived in the same apartment for nearly their entire lives. I'm not sure what I would be able to do about either of those even if I knew it to be the case, but I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience or ideas of things I could try?

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Might be mis-directed aggression...any new stray or neighborhood cats coming into your yard? That's usually the most common reason.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are completely indoor cats. We live in a 2nd floor apartment, so they wouldn't really have any contact with any other cats unless they saw one passing by through a window. But I've never noticed them paying any particular attention to anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Cinnamon said:
They are completely indoor cats. We live in a 2nd floor apartment, so they wouldn't really have any contact with any other cats unless they saw one passing by through a window.
That's exactly the type of situation that causes misdirected aggression. They see the cat outside, anything in sight is "my territory', so the cat is infringing. One or both cats get frustrated they can't get at the outside cat so they take it out on the other one, or even sometimes humans.

Has anything changed that may have triggered the behavior? Someone move in, someone move out? Work done in the apartment? Anything that could have happened that caused an incident between and the trust was never regained.

You can try a Feliway diffuser, Feliway is a synthetic cat pheromone that is supposed to be calming. My experience is that it's not a miracle product but it does help. (It's not cheap...best price I've found is on Amazon). A last resort type move would be to separate them completely for a month or so and then do a formal introduction process.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... I'll be on the lookout for that. They don't really look outside much, and I've never seen them paying much attention to anyone or anything out there. They seem to look outside with the same type of attention that we might give a TV... there's entertainment to be seen there but it's not the real world.

The good news is that I've seen a bit of improvement recently. It's been several days since I've witnessed a fight, and I actually caught one of them grooming the other a couple of days ago. So perhaps they are trying to settle their differences, whatever they were.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts