Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
My cat, Forte, just spewed a pinkish liquid (maybe because of his chicken canned food?) and when we started cleaning it up, my husband noticed this curled white thin thing in it, and it started to slowly uncurl. We soon realized that it was alive--so disgusting. I took a picture to show the vet, and Jake found another one in the puke, and we flushed them.

I looked online and determined that they were roundworms.

He has never thrown up worms before! He is an indoor-only cat! How on earth could he have gotten them? He was de-wormed at the rescue (that we got him from almost four months ago) on a regular schedule, and his vet check up three months ago was OK. He does not have fleas, and never comes in contact with any wildlife or anything else.

The only thing that's changed with his life is the (artificial- stored indoors at all times!) Christmas tree, and all three cats have been ingesting the artificial needles that come off of it, despite our best efforts to keep them away.

I called the E-vet, and the receptionist said that throwing up worms is not an emergency, and the vets were busy taking care of actual emergencies (she had kind of an attitude about it). She told me to call my vet, and I hope I can get them in asap.

I'm assuming that since HE has worms, that Coda and Allegro probably do, too. I'm worried about getting them in to the vet since it's the week before Christmas. I am having three holiday houseguests come on Friday and am under enough stress trying to get things ready for them, and now I have to worry that my cats might be puking up worms all over the house??

Any advice or reassurance? :( I'm really freaked out here. My poor Forte!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Reassurance. Welcome to the club (again).

Hersh threw up one wriggling roundworm for me to know he had them. This was last summer. Also only indoors, all of them. In my case, the only suspect was Little Hersh, who entered the household in late July at 4 months after being in a foster home. Vet confirmed the roundworm, also from stool sample I brought in (some cats have diarrhea from them).

Deworming was no big deal. Can't remember the name of it, but all cats received two doses, one the first day and one two weeks later (to get eggs that may have hatched). WHile vet recommended using syringe to put down their throats, I didn't do it that way, found mixing the dose with their wet food went just fine. Also cleaned all litter boxes, throwing out current litter and disinfecting.

Bottom line--worms disappeared, not to return, as far as I can tell, ever since. Who knows how Forte got them, but it's not impossible he's had them ever since he first arrived and just didn't show obvious symptoms until now.

And yes, the roundworm was gross, kinda long and spaghetti-like. Cats do put up with a lot, don't they?

·
Registered
137 Posts
When we got Lucky this past summer, I began to see what looked like white pieces of rice in his bed, and litterbox. He was a feral, trapped & given to me. Like you, I first looked online and I discovered that these were tapeworm eggs. He needed to go in for shots & neutering anyway so I made the appointment, POST HASTE. I brought in samples. Sure enough. And, vet said she gave him a shot to take care of all worms. I never did tell my husband, as he would still be going around muttering, OMG. Anyway, just get in as soon as you can, and keep it in perspective, it is not fatal to anyone & there is a solution. Probably would be a good idea to bring in a good sized stool sample.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much, both of you. We might just throw out the litterboxes and get new ones, because they're huge and it will be hard to completely 100% disinfect them. We should probably wait until they poop out the worms from the deworming meds, right?

Should I try to get some over-the-counter deworming stuff tomorrow at the store? Or should I wait to talk to the vet? (My worry is that my vet might be gone this week due to the holiday)

I'm glad that both of you were able to clear up the worms!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No over-the-counter meds. They are not safe for your cats.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Agree, no store meds, they aren't safe.
As gross as worms are, they aren't that kind of emergency.
I have given worm meds in pill form with mixed results, since the med is bitter and my cats don't always get the full dose - they hate the taste and try every trick to not swallow. I've also tried Revolution.

I have been told that the shots the vet gives are highly effective.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sorry to hear about Forte! I can't offer any advice, since I've (fortunately) never had to deal with roundworms. Hopefully your vet will be in next week. If not, presumably he would have another vet "on call"...No?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
This is the only OTC de-wormer for cats I would trust though it is for treating Tapeworms.
The active ingredient (23mg praziquantel) is the same vets prescribe in the products called Droncit and Drontal.

Pyrantel Pamoate is used to treat hookworms and roundworms. Anthelmintics and strongid products can also be used, dose-appropriate for the pets' size. I do not know if there are any OTC cat products with PP, anthelmintics or strongid ingredients. My searches turn up a Praziquantel/Pyrantel-Pamoate combined product called Drontal.

My vet gave me Panacur (fenbendazole) to treat my litter of kittens for internal and microscopic (giardia) parasites. I can *find* Panacur/fenbendazole for purchase online, but I notice prices are in 'pounds', not dollars so I'm not sure if we can purchase this product OTC in the US.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I've never had an animal that as picked up worms... that I know of. How do cats pick them when they're indoor only? Does that mean people gave it to them...? Ick. I just don't like thinking about this kind of thing. At all. I imagine most people don't... worms are the type of thing I'd rather have and just, you know, never see... :p

I hope Forte gets better soon!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, guys! I have another, secondary worry. Right now the cats have a litterbox in the guest bathroom (specifically, in the bathtub). I was going to move it to the laundry room and then clean out and bleach the bathroom so that our guests could shower in there.

Will it be unsafe for them to use the bathroom (like walk barefoot in it and shower in it) when the cats have had accidents/drippings outside of the box and possibly gotten roundworm eggs or whatever in the tub? Will a bleach solution kill roundworm eggs?

I have to know if I am going to tell the guests that they have to use the downstairs bathroom during the night and our bathroom to shower in.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Clean the bathroom as you plan and you'll be fine. Roundworm is transmitted by injesting the roundworm eggs (kids playing in sandboxes and putting their fingers in their mouth, etc.). If your bathroom has been cleaned, your guests will be fine to use it.

74 Posts
Thats HILARIOUS! I never thought about cleaning the litter box during a deworming.... When is the best time to do it? The first dose of dewormer or the second dose 2 weeks later? or is it not even that important?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts