Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a 7 month old kitten and she is now 100% raw fed, and has been for about 4 weeks now. Before that she was grain free canned only, with occasional chunks of raw chicken starting at about 6 months. I supplement her food with Alnutrin, which gives me peace of mind that she is getting all that she needs. ( I worry a lot..lol). Here's my question: would it be a good idea to supplement her with a little fortiflora about once a week for probiotics? I know people use it for diarrhea, which she doesn't have, but was wondering if it would be beneficial for her. Thanks in advance for your help!
Charli's mom

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Certainly won't hurt her at all. She is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs if you are preparing a catinfo.org recipe (or similar website) for raw so it's not necessary, but it won't hurt her to add some to her diet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fortiflora has animal digest which some people find objectionable. Raw food and specialty animal food stores can recommend good brands of probiotics. I just got Olie Naturals New Beginnings for mine. Olie Naturals - New Beginings Liquid - Katoby Distribution My raw store highly recommended it.

My kittens were on fortiflora and it was like kittie-crack. They started refusing to eat unless it was sprinkled on...then were licking it off...then Mystik started stealing the packages and leaving a huge mess under couches.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Marcia. And Mochas Mom, thanks for the info. I was a little concerned about the animal digests and was concerned of exactly what you described, her getting hooked on it and not wanting food unless it was on there. I'm going to try the Olie you suggested.
Thank you
Charli's mom

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Animal digest is nasty stuff and putting it on good raw food just ruins it imo. There are plenty of quality probiotic products available that do not contain any suspect ingredients.

My two favorites are Animal Essentials Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics or Wholistic Pet Digest All Plus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts