Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked them up tonight from the shelter. They're about 2 weeks old. One runt. Mom is pretty tiny/skinny. I'm supplementing them with extra formula. If they can all get through the next two weeks, everyone should be fine. Fingers crossed for them.

Pics to come. Gotta go take care of the other 13 floating around here first. :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, 7. 6 of them are black or mostly black, but randomly there's one mostly white one that looks like it'll darken into a siamese/pointed looking adult. Weird. :) Mom is black as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
So many black kittens during the Halloween season will be fun to see! Will you do something to identify them (collars) or are you able to tell them apart? Our kittens came from a litter of 6 and 4 of them were black (2 boys/2 girls). The foster mom says that she couldn't tell them apart.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
The single colorpoint is less of a mystery when I apply my dismal understanding of genetics... something about how if a black cat mates with a colorpoint, offspring are black, masking the fact that they were ever from colorpoint ancestry. However some may carry the colorpoint gene... so down the line, you could have two black cats mate with the recessive colorpoint gene and end up with a few color points mixed in the litter. Anyway, I think I kept that vague enough to kinda be accurate haha. I don't have a 100% full understanding of it.

Looking forward to pictures! :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Whoa! 7 is a big litter! Bless you for taking them all in! It's always fun to see a family grow and their personalities develop. Hopefully many of them will get adopted together. :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two of them have tabby-ish markings (white eyeliner, a few white stripes on the head, but are mostly black), one is kind of a brownish/grayish/black, one is the white and the other three I *think* I'll be able to tell apart based on various small features (one I saw for sure has a white spot on its chest, and I haven't looked to see boys vs. girls yet).

They had breakfast this morning and someone had got poo all over everyone else, which mom hadn't cleaned up, so I wet-wiped everyone off as I fed them. They're sooooo tiny and frail looking, but plenty feisty, so I'm really hoping everyone will do well.

I'm hoping not to have to do collars to tell everyone apart...I've never had to before with a batch. Trying to keep up my perfect record, lol.

Pics soon. Just got home and gotta feed everyone first.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Can't wait to see pictures of the new ones. Thank goodness they came to your house as it sounds like Momma might be a bit overwhelmed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hands full...yes. Mama from this batch is going to be Nala....and she's not nearly as accomplished at mothering as Minerva, from my other batch of fosters, is. I'm doing a lot of extra work with her babies to keep everyone fed and happy. She's been here 2 days now and is settling down a bit and spending more time with the babies again. Everyone still seems to be doing well. And finally, PICTURES! :)

Mama Nala:

I think the babies might be closer to three weeks old (based on the milestones they've got) but a bit stunted (based on their size).

And just the babies:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh my gosh look at all those kittens! Nala looks like she's taking good care of them. I'm kind of jealous that she's surrounded by a bunch of kittens and I'm not :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
7 is hard work as very experienced Mamma Tory taught me! Nala looks pretty young, Tory was on litter number 5 and knew what she was doing but still struggled a bit with 7. Good on you for being 2iC Mamma. Nala sure has her paws full!

Oh, and the babies are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
They are so cute! The last one really shows the tabby stripes on that kitten on the left. How unusual, he's a black tabby!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well things have not been going well at all with this batch. Mama Nala has decided that she has no interest whatsoever in the babies and now spends her days diligently avoiding and ignoring them. I lock her in a crate with them a few times a day and she feeds them (she's so full of milk it makes me sore just looking at her), albeit grudgingly. Meanwhile, I've taken over mothering duties for these guys, and I'm not very accomplished at it either. All 7 are still alive, and eating "goop" (meat baby food, wet cat food, ground up kitten crunchies, warm water, kmr milk powder, probiotics and pumpkin all smooshed together), but we're having problems with diarrhea now and the shelter vet is trying to help get it under control. If we can get through the next week or so, I think everyone will be in the clear. Also, the poo is getting everywhere and on everything, including the kittens. I'm going to end up having to wash it off them, I think. Wet wipes just aren't touching the mess at this point.

They've been waking me up every few hours during the night for food, so I haven't slept properly in a week. Luckily my other foster mom, Minerva, is doing a great job, so all I have to do for them is clean the litter every day and admire how wonderful her babies look.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.