Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm exploring the possibility of fostering for my local animal shelter, and I was looking for any advice you guys would pass on to a newbie. :)

I'd be doing long-term fostering for a cat who needed socialization and has emotional special needs.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can share! :)

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Dive in!! You have enough experience to love, care and comfort this poor baby, I know. We are always here if you have specific questions though!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Marcia! :)

Yeah, at this point I don't even know exactly what to ask. I'm both anxious and excited, but I don't want to mess things up.

I guess in this case it won't be that different from adopting a new pet though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realized how anxious I was about this whole thing when I had a nightmare last night about Bentley getting recalled to the shelter - Bentley is adopted not fostered, and I've had him for fourteen months. :p Funny how the mind works. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
An adult cat that needs socialization might benefit from a cage. A cage will help her/him feel more secure. I would get a decent sized one if you can afford it (OR a large dog kennel. Put a litter box in it and soft cozy blankets to say on. Give her a day to settle in then start offering chicken tidbits from your fingers.

if you Bing or Google "socializing feral cats" there is a ton of info.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions! Those are good ideas! :)

The kitty in question isn't feral. He's from a home, but he's very shy and withdrawn. He's struggling in the shelter environment because he doesn't like noise, and they think he'd do better in foster care.

I volunteer at the shelter socializing cats, I've been working with this kitty for a few weeks. He will let me handle him (but he only likes me) at the shelter, so hopefully once he adjusts he'd continue to make progress.

Maisie came to me with some pretty serious emotional special needs, so I feel like I know what I'm doing about that part - although every cat is different, obviously. It's just the fostering part I have no experience with yet. I think you're right that I need to just dive in! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts