Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a kitten named Duddits (if you don't get it, ask a Stephen King fan). When he goes to the litter box it does not just smell bad, it is chemical weapon bad. People flee the room crying it's so bad.

Because we have ferrets also, we have litter boxes is almost every room of the house. Duddits will always find the room with the most people in it, then walk to the middle and announce his intentions, "Meow, meow, meow." He will then walk to the litter box and give a play-by-play of the action. "Meow, meow, meeeoooooooowWWW!" it is hilarious to listen to but the laughing quickly is replaced with cries.

We have given him two different kinds of food with no change. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
What kind of foods are you feeding your cat?

Any low quality type of cat food can really make your kitty's restroom visits stink. I know this from experience :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purina Kitten Chow. He had another dry kind before that but can't recall. he gets hardly any people food.

As I type this Duds is behind me making another example, and telling me all about it. Gotta run, later!

·
Registered
209 Posts
some cats just have extra stinky poo too. there's 6 cats in my apartment, and one kitty in particular has such stinky poo...seriously, its enough to make me leave my apartment sometimes!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I know when my Punky had worms (both roundworms and tapeworms) her poo was exceptionally stinky. She also had some wicked bad gas. 8O

Has he been to the vet for his first shots/check-up? If not, you might want to schedule that right away... and be sure to bring a stool sample too. :wink:

g'luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, I would have a stool sample checked, just to make sure. And while you are at the vet having it checked, ask your doctor about his or her thoughts on whether or not a diet change might help.

You will find there are many of us on here feeding something besides Purina products, including myself, but everyone is different. My vet once told me, "just feed the best food you can afford." She said "it's all you can do." And when it came to a client feeding Purina, she would also recommend that they try Purina One, instead of the Purina Chows. She said, between the two, she like the Purina One ingredients better.

There are so many foods out there to choose from, check with your veterinarian for his or her thoughts, and I know you can find many helpful posts in the Health & Nutrition section here, regarding foods other people feed and/or would recommend.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Will make an appt this week with vet. Will also try different food.

My wife wanted the kitten, I did not think we needed one, what with the ferrets destroying the house pretty well on their own. She brought him home and named him "Sirius Black" since he is black and she is a Harry Potter fan. The kitten's favorite game is to pull on a cord and see what falls on his head. He has beaned himself with Playstation controllers, shoes, phones, keyboards, mice, a trackball and other items. Every time he does this I would say, "Way to go Duddits!". That stuck and Sirius didn't.

I originally wanted to name him "Cat Chow Mein" or "Chow" for short. I said it was to remind him what happens to bad kitties :) I was told that it was her turn to name the animal since I am always naming the pets. While I did not get the name I wanted, I did get to name him after all.

-----
Duddits, cat. Just follow the constant meows.
Raffles and Tika, ferrets. What noise do ferrets make? "Crash" mostly.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
<-- Stephen King fan.

If Purina Kitten Chow is anything like Purina DM (and I'm guessing it is since kitten food tends to be higher in protein), that's what's causing the stinky stool. I have never smelled anything so bad, so completely rancid as the dreaded DM BM. Still have his stool checked, though. You can't be too careful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet suggested we use Science Diet. We made the switch and while he is no bed of roses, it smells like we have a cat in the house and not a 500lbs gorilla on a tex-mex diet. He also does not go as often. We know this because he still has to let everyone know when it's time to do his business. Thanks for the advice.

One kitten, Free
Laser pointer, $2
House with hardwood floors, $50,000
Laughing till it hurts, priceless.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Definitely a fecal check at the vet's is the first step!

Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, and all the grocery-discount store foods are not that great of quality. The dry foods are made with corn and by-products, and little or no meat. Nutro, which is about the same price as Iams, contains yucca which really helps reduce the stool odor. With 5 cats, I can tell you there was quite a difference! Plus it's a lot better quality that those brands, though there are others that are even better than that.

An all dry diet will produce a lot more stool. I recommend at least 50% of the diet to be canned food, to protect the cat's kidneys as well as maintain a healthier weight. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
Be sure to make any diet changes SLOWLY over at least a week, to prevent upset tummy. At first, canned food will produce an even smellier poop but this should even out as the gut becomes accustomed to it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts