Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently found two 4 week old kittens in the middle of the road! im fostering them untill i can find homes for them! although i have a vet appointment on tuesday for check ups, im worried about my two 1 year old cats i have at home. ive been keeping them seperate from the kittens but one of my cats continues to get through the obstacles and shove his whole arm under the door and grab them in the bathroom!! (playing of course) and i worry he will catch somthing from them ): i adopted both of my cats from the ASPCA and they are up to date on shots.. i havent been washing my hands as frequently after playing with the kittens and i am soo worried about my two cats ): i would just die if i found out they got some illness i couldnt cure..... peace of mind? tips?

-overly paranoid mommy

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Most diseases happen thru deep bites. I wouldn’t worry too much. I’d worry more if you see signs of ringworm. But even a healthy adult cat with a good immune system won’t contract that either. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Thanks for saving those two precious souls. You are their angels. I hope you can get them adopted out. If you do put them with a shelter or rescue make sure they are a no kill shelter. I would love to see pictures. I bet they are a lot of fun! Are they tame? Skittish? I would love to hear more about them.

Ive done over a hundred foster kittens and cats and never had a problem with new arrivals making my other fosters sick. I kept them separated if I saw signs of them being sick.. guardia, ringworm, URI. which is easy to spot on new cats or kittens. Weapy eyes, loose stools, odd smelling stools, patches of missing fur with scabs, etc.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have a five week old kitten that I got for a girl who found her outside - had her to the vet - she's too young to test for most things and I was worried about the same thing - however the vet told me that unless the kitten bites my older cat pretty badly or vice versa he won't really be catching anything. Tuffy like yours is all up to date on shots etc.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Jan Rebecca, that is a good point. Never bother testing a kitten for felv or FIV. the tests are not reliable. Plus when an cat is older and have had vaccinations if you test for FeLv and FIV it may come back a positive because it finds the vaccination and reads that as a positive. The only way you can really know whether it is really Felv and Fiv in an older cat is to do send a way a sample to a lab which does the test which can tell whether it is a true shedding virus or just from its vaccinations.

I have a FeLv cat living with my own cat and fosters. He tested negative from the snap test when I first was letting him in from outside. Fast forward apx 5 yrs later. I’m at the vet with him and he has a large red angry spot in the roof of his mouth. We sent the test out to a lab in Alabama and came back positive because he was shedding the virus in his body. We decided not to put him down. He is not a fighter and aggressive. We decided its quality of life with our cats not quantity. We’re going to give him the best life possible till he does a down turn with this disease and should be help to his next life on the other side.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Last year, I was helping out a friend with a kitten with FIP. At the time I took him in, I didn't realize what the kitten actually had. I tried to save him for many weeks with round the clock care. I, too, worried about my other 4 cats. Eventually, after a month or so, the kitten had to be euthanized and the Vets determined he had FIP.

I beat myself up for some time afterwards for exposing my cats to this horrible disease, but the other cats are fine, and the Vet asked us to keep an eye on them. We were told that their immune systems were good and the probability that they would catch something from the kitten, was very slim. They told us what to watch out for, and I will tell you I have not seen any of those symptoms to date.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts