Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month or so i have been wanting to get a second cat. I was kind of hoping i would just come across one, but after some debating i filled out an adoption application for a city rescue yesterday.
Today when i got home from work i saw that something had dug through the trash on my porch and licked clean an empty can of cat food.
I was sitting inside watching tv and then i saw the culprit... A pretty grey and white cat, with a big round belly. I stood up, and she saw me, and turned around and ran into some bushes. I heated up some EVO and went outside with it. I sat outside for a minute and then i heard a little mew from the bushes. She poked her head out and must have smelled the food, because she stood mewing and watching me for about 30 seconds, then slowly made her way over and dove in. She was hungry, i had to take it away from her because she started gagging she was eating so fast. She warmed up to me pretty quickly, let me pet her head and rubbed up against me when i took her food bowl away. I ran inside and got my carrier, put the foodbowl i side and was able to get her in it.
So , here we are. At the vet getting scanned for a microchip, tested and xrays :). I hope everything is okay so i can keep her. The vet said she thinks she feels one kitten. She also said she doesnt seem to be producing milk, which is good because i was scared she may have had kittens outside somewhere.
I am not looking forward to telling the rescue that i may not be able to adopt a cat now :( im sure they will be happy that i am helping this one though. I will keep you all updated, wish me luck :) we are calling her Moma for now

·
Registered
683 Posts
Aww what a great thing you have done. Congrats on rescuing this little mommy, and good luck with everything. And you have to post some pics please!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got home. She was negative for felv/fiv and has one kitten that appears to be healthy! the vet said that they are going to have a radiologist to double check the xray in the morning, but as far as she can tell the kitten is as least 45 days along and she had vaginal secretions so she could possibly go into labor at any time. wow i was not expecting this, but i couldnt be happier. we have her in our bedroom and Banjo is going nuts, he knows something is happening but he doesnt know what. i dont planning on introducing them until mom is comfortable. now i have to run to walmart and get another litterbox! and yes dweamgoil, i feel like this was really meant to be :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a pic....she is a little moody(understandable) but seems to be generally at ease to have a full belly and a warm place to sleep

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I'm so glad you stepped up and are taking care of her! What a huge difference you've made in her life, giving her a safe, warm place to have her kitten.

Are you thinking of keeping both the mom and the kitten?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Shan841, I too believe this was meant to be. Thank you for taking her in and caring for her & her kitten. Can't wait to see the pictures of the newest member to your family. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Aww she is adorable and looks comfortable. Glad you found the cat you were waiting for, and her the companion she was obviously looking for. Did the vet give an age estimate on her?

congrats!!:thumb

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words everyone! We are planning on keeping mom and baby, i dont think that i would be able to part with the kitten, esp since there is only 1. The vet guessed that she is about a year old.

She slept on the ledge above my bed last night and didnt bother me at all. When i woke up and started talkimg to her she came right over in my lap and started purring and headbutting me all over. She does have diarrhea, but she used the litterbox with no issue. She was very happy to have breakfast, but is still a little temperamental and will hiss and swipe with no warning. The vet said to wait at least 2 weeks to introduce her to Banjo in case she has a URI but i may wait untill she is spayed, she is a tough cookie and Banjo would be totally defenseless if she went after him.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
still a little temperamental and will hiss and swipe with no warning.
This may or may not continue after she has her kitten. If you plan on introducing Banjo to her and her kitten, I'd wait until the kitten is a bit older. Though, she may appreciate Banjo playing with her baby. It may give her a chance to get a break from mommy duties. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This may or may not continue after she has her kitten. If you plan on introducing Banjo to her and her kitten, I'd wait until the kitten is a bit older. Though, she may appreciate Banjo playing with her baby. It may give her a chance to get a break from mommy duties. :)
Yes, I am in no hurry to introduce them so I was thinking once the kitten gets older to maybe steal the kitten away and introduce him/her to Banjo first and see how it goes.

Does anyone have an opinion on Feliway diffusers and pregnant cats? I know that she is going to be moody but do you think it would help at all? She has been rubbing her cheeks on everything so I want to help her feel at home as much as I can

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've tried Feliway in different situations (new additions to the gang, scared cats, pregnant moms, sick kittens) and it seems to work most of the times. Is not magic, so don't expect a miraculous change. However it is worth the try.

She looks really cute, is she a tuxedo kitty (black-white)? She looks very petite too, what are you feeding her? maybe you can add some nutritional supplements or just premium food or something like that.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted please! :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've tried Feliway in different situations (new additions to the gang, scared cats, pregnant moms, sick kittens) and it seems to work most of the times. Is not magic, so don't expect a miraculous change. However it is worth the try.

She looks really cute, is she a tuxedo kitty (black-white)? She looks very petite too, what are you feeding her? maybe you can add some nutritional supplements or just premium food or something like that.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted please! :D
She is gray and white, I will try to get some better pics tonight. I am giving her EVO cat & kitten formula, which I think is an excellent food, and very rich. And she LOVES it. She is fairly petite. She only weighed 3.3 kg. I picked up the feliway diffuser on my lunch break, i figure it is worth a try :kittyball

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd probably swipe and hiss too if I was due any day...just sayin' :devil
Me too! haha She is amazingly well behaved for all that she has been through, she was quiet in the car and she even let me pick her up without a complaint when we were at the vet :angel

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some better pics, she is hard to photograph because there isnt much light in my bedroom and she is very wiggly! I think we are naming her Minnie, her face and skinny tail remind me of a mouse

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.