Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. We're 2 broke college students living in a big apartment complex. We recently found a cat living in the "attic" on top of the 3rd floor. It goes in and out through some holes in the wall. It seems like it has been there for a while and doesn't belong to anyone.

It appears to be a domestic cat and when we fed it, it came right up to us, started eating, and rubbed against us a lot. We petted it and it seems friendly. We've been putting some dry cat food on a plate and a bowl of water near its home. Does anyone have tips on what we should do? Neither of us ever owned a cat before. Does anyone know what type of cat it is? Thanks! Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's my cat!!!!! Molly. LOL It looks just like her - - but she's sitting in my lap - so I doubt it really is.

So, here's MY advice:

1) you can put up flyers in the area to see if someone lost a kitty.

2) you need to decide if you are going to keep the kitty or not. If you are going to keep the kitty, you need the following items:

Litter box, scoop, kitty food (NO FISH FLAVORS), litter, and kitty toys, and a brush.

The kitty will come to you when it wants attention - - pet it - and let it go back to being lazy.

VERY IMPORTANT:
If you keep the kitty - it MUST BE spayed/neutered. That is an ABSOLUTE MUST.
It also needs shots, possibly deworming, etc.

This can get expensive. I would call a rescue and see if they can work with you to get this done for a cheap price. Maybe they will help you out.

Where do you live? Your stairs look like mine - - I live in NYC.

Editing to add a pic of Molly:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We can't keep him (or her, not sure) since the apartment complex doesn't allow pets, and we can't afford all those treatments. We live in California and we'll be moving out in a couple of months. Not sure what to do, but we'll try to keep him fed for now.

What kind of cat is yours MollyMileyMaya? They do look pretty similar.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
23 Posts
She's a domestic Short hair.

Post on Craigslist and ask if someone knows the local cat rescue groups. Then contact a rescue group. Find a NO-Kill shelter if you can't keep him/her. Or maybe they are listed in the phone book? I don't know......

Does it have two little balls back there? they'd be obvious! If no - it's probably a girl.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I would start calling all the rescues in your area. Make sure they are no k i l l rescues. Get her/him placed with them before you move. Keep feeding her till you can find a place for her. It would help if you offered a donation along with this kitty. All rescues operate on a shoe string budget esp now. It helps alot anything you can give them to help this sweet kitty. You were sent to be her/his angel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts