Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found two young, I think around six week, kittens at the park today. I have them isolated in a spare room away from my other animals, and have a 42" crate that I can put them in when I'm gone. I work at a pet store so I was able to stop by the store even with it being closed to pick up some non clumping litter for them. They don't have any obvious issues, they have clear eyes and noses and aren't sneezing. They are both playful and use the litter box. I gave them a little bit of EVO cat and kitten canned for lunch, and 1/2 an ounce of nature's variety raw just now. One of them pooped early in the day and it was firm and normal, but they both just went and it was loose and light colored. I'm assuming it's from the food switch. I'll be calling the vet in the morning and hopefully get them seen by Monday at the latest. Is 1/2 oz three times a day a good amount of food? Anything else I should be doing? I can't post pictures from my phone, but one is a tortie and the other is a weird black color. She (I think) is solid black on the face, ears, paws and tail, like she's pointed, but her body hair is black at the root, silver in the middle and black at the tip, and it looks like she's tabby as well. When I have computer access I'll post pictures, unless the forum has a mobile app?

·
Registered
716 Posts
At that age i would let them eat as much as they want at each meal. 3 times a day is probably fine, i would do 4 if you could. Bless you for taking them in. Would love to see pics!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree 4X/day would be better if possible. Her coat color to me sounds at this time like a smoke, but that would be unusual at his age. This is probably what some folks call a "fever" coat. These kittens or the queen supposedly run a fever while in utero causing the color change. As the kittens age, they gradually turn all black. TYVM for becoming their guardian. GL B

·
Registered
351 Posts
So kind of you to be doing what you are doing for those two helpless kittens...and taking them to the vet to be fully checked over....You probably will do it anyway but I would take some stool from each and bag it separately so the vet can check for things they might have like worms...

As for feeding, I am not an authority on this at all....My wife is a snacker and I am a meat and tators guy who looks for meals by using a clock....what a pair...."where's my din din"...."I already ate"...kind of house. so, for our cats, they have dry food available and get canned food in the morning like it or not...but then they are not kittens......and have adjusted...tho if Kermit is hungry he will lick the picture off of an unopened can....

I would suggest asking the vet if they can be fed on your schedule so that you can monitor their intake....probably even chart it if you have the time..If you are going to find a home for them, this might be useful info for the new owner(s)......good job.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with the others, feed them 4 times a day if possible. Only God knows how long its been since they had a good meal and what they were eating before you picked them up. Thank you so much for taking care of these tiny babies.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feeding four times shouldn't be a problem, either me or my partner are usually home. They seem to be eating about 1/2oz at a time even when there's more offered, so maybe we'll start with that amount four times a day for now. Their poos are still soft this morning, but haven't gotten and worse. They're seeing the vet first thing on Monday. If they get a clean bill of health and negative fecal can they start to be introduced to the other animals?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Animals? What animals? just kidding...you said you work at a pet store and you and SO are usually home so I would guess you already feel confident that you can 'arrange' some meetings...Kind of a meet and greet party. Keep us posted. At about 7wks old they will still need the supervision that their mother would have provided tho...

My Kermit was the runt of the liter we had in our house....as they were born (black and white markings) we noticed one was struggling but made it tho the others could outnipple him...Within a day I would take him from the 'nest' and put him near my neck and he would sleep...Mom at first came right up and wanted him back but soon was satisfied that kermit was safe with me.....then I would bring him back to nurse without the others there....the mistake was I now have a ten yr old cat who thinks i am his dad and the bond is forever...not a bad thing....so good luck with your introductions etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just have our 4 year old cat and 2 year old great dane. The dog is a nanny and feels the need to mother any baby thing and is incredibly gentle, and the cat lived with kittens before and was much the same way. I just want to make sure they don't have anything icky before they meet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts