Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stray kitty, Franky, has been with us foe about a year and a half now. In the last six months or so he has gotten a lot more relaxed around us to the point he will let me pick him up. He loves been petted under his chon and scratched behind the ears. Even he enjoys the attention, we have never heard him purr. I even touch his throat to see if there is any vibration but nothing. He is deaf, but I have been told even deaf cats can purr. He does not meow very well, it is very weird, kind of long and weird sounding. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ya, my deaf cat purrs like crazy..
And his meows are horrible! He's loud and obnoxious. I don't expect his lack of purring is a deaf thing, but his weird meows likely are. My deaf dogs have weird barks and noises too.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Our Maggie never purred. It always bothered me but she lived a full, long life. I guess some cats just don't display an audible or physical purr. Doesn't mean she's not content.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I used to think Maisie didn't purr, but then when I put my head against his side I could feel it - couldn't feel it at the throat. Some cats just purr very quietly.

Some cats also just aren't big on the purring. It doesn't mean they're unhappy; they just show their happiness in other ways.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
One of my cats has a very soft purr and I didn't hear it until I felt her side. She doesn't use it much but shows her affection and contentment with body language.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts