Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a cat named Fufanu. She is a very heavy cat, around 20 lbs, and when we pet her on her hind legs or lower back area, she frantically nibbles on her forearms. So frantically, you have to pull her away from nibbling herself. Has anyone else ever heard of this behavior?

Thanks for your time!

Jay

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby used to do that! That's actually the reason I joined the forum. I took him to two different vets who just laughed at it. I didn't think it was funny because it seemed to really hurt him. Turns out, he was so large (19 pounds) that he couldn't reach his back to clean it. I bought a flea comb and used it to comb out the spots he couldn't reach. I think flea combs work the best because the tines get right down to the skin. You wouldn't believe the hair, dandruff and other gunk I pulled out of his fur and it was only one week after I had bathed him and groomed him with two other types of brushes! Give the flea comb a try and see if it does the trick.

Good luck. :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's funny you mention that, cuz my 13-yr. old cat, Floyd, used to do that all the time. Anytime you would pet him or brush his hind region, he was nibble frantically at his front paws. We just laughed, and it never seemed to be an issue, but more of a funny thing to watch!

Lisa :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I really appreciate your response. I was just so nervous that this was a freak occurance. I'm glad to hear that it is not, and it is common amongst overweight felines.

Thank you!

·
Banned
60 Posts
It could be that your kitty is stressed and agitated (is she affectionate or more of an intense kitty?) or may have a skin infection (she may be asking you to have a look at it?). If the latter is ruled out, then could she be stressed by something at home?

I hope it all works out.

Cheers,
FiveCatsMom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not Stressed

Fufanu is a calico. By nature she is a pest but by no means is she necessarily stressed. She is also not very affectionate, unless you have food with you and she acts like your best friend. I have checked out the area and it seems that there is no skin irritation, but she will be visiting the vet soon.

Thank you for your help FiveCatsMom. By the way, do all your cats get along with each other? My calico Fufanu, and my black cat Baby, can really care less about each other. Just wondering how the rest of the Feline Kingdom works out.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Since she is too obese to groom, petting her stimulates a reflex or instinct that she cannot fulfill, which is intensely frustrating.

Also, you need to be washing her hind end daily to keep her from getting urine scald or ascending infection, until she can do it herself.

To get the weight off of her, move her to an all-canned diet. Dry food is the pound-packer! Obesity poses many dangers to health, including diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease. Let's get her slimmed down! Here's more info for you:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=016

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts