Cat Forum banner

Fred

760 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  P&R 
#1 ·
This weekend I got to hang out with Fred at an adoption event and I ended up bringing him home with me! I spent all Saturday night with him and thought about bringing him home then. But I realized it was 3 am and I was too tired to get him properly set up with food, water, litter, bed and deal with the other cats reacting to him. So I decided that I would think about it, and see if he was still there when I went back Sunday afternoon. If he was, and no one had adopted him by the end of the event, I would take him home. Well, once I woke up Sunday morning and when I was driving to the event, I found myself thinking about Fred and hoping he hadn't been adopted yet. As soon as I got to the event, I ran for the cat trailer to look for Fred. And he was still there! I knew I wouldn't get the paperwork done right away, but I immediately pulled his cage card before anyone else could take him.

Fred, checking out the cat trailer: (he was moving around a lot so it was hard getting a good picture on my phone)

As soon as I got Fred home, I put his carrier in the living room to let the other kitties sniff him out while I got a room ready for him. The other two acted exactly how I expected. Widget laid down under a table a few feet away and sniffed the air toward Fred for a few minutes. She eventually stopped caring and walked to the kitchen to beg for a treat. Widget still isn't 100% sure about Fred, but she stays calm and just watches and sniffs him from a distance. If he gets too close she just sits still and waits for him to go by. Jinx, however, did not appreciate having a new brother. He sniffed the carrier and hissed and growled. He keeps growling if Fred gets too close or even if smells Fred through a closed door. So far no fights. He did all the same things when he was the new cat being introduced to Widget. They get along now (or at least tolerate each other when they have to) so I'm not too worried about Jinx and Fred. I think Jinx realizes Fred is a little older and bigger than he is because he's being nicer to Fred than he was to Widget at first.
Once Fred's room was ready, I took him in and as soon as I opened the carrier door, he walked out purring super loud and immediately went to rubbing his face on every surface it could reach. Every couple minutes he'd stopped rubbing to eat a bite of food then go back to rubbing everything. He adjusted very well to his new home so I let him out of his room to explore the house and meet the other kitties. He's smart and backs away when Jinx gets hissy with him, so we haven't had any problems. He doesn't even mind the dog! He just ignores it when Beau sniffs him, but he does get a little puffed up (as much as he can right now...) when Beau barks trying to get Fred to play.

Fred checking out his new home:

Fred, chillin in his new room and Widget a few feet away, just being Widget:

Fred had been at the shelter for almost two months, and no one really wanted to take him home mostly because of the hair loss on his back half but I'm sure being a black cat didn't help any. He had his initial wellness check at the vet yesterday, and she thinks his hair loss is due to a flea allergy and it will keep growing back in, which is good news. His previous owners probably didn't take good care of him or give him flea prevention. So he probably ended up covered in fleas and his owners turned him in that way, or did just the bare minimum to get the fleas off then turn him in. All he needs is time for the hair to grow and a monthly dose of flea medicine, which I give my cats anyway. I'm not too concerned about his looks because he is a super sweet cat and pretty easy going. I'm glad he's not an orange tabby because it makes me miss Leo a little less. But yesterday he did a couple things that Leo did, like not walk on the bath mats in the guest bathroom. They're fluffier and it doesn't bother Widget or Jinx, but Leo would never walk on them. If the door wasn't open all the way he'd either try to find a way out through shower or sit on the tile and cry until I got him. Fred did the same thing yesterday. He also climbs the cat tree by grabbing onto the side posts, something Leo did that neither of the other two cats do. I guess it won't hurt to have a few reminders of the cute things Leo did. Fred is certainly a healthy and happy kitty and I'm glad I gave him a home instead of letting him sit in the shelter for another couple months.

I'll post some more pics of Fred and Widget and Jinx soon when I get out my real camera and get some good pictures of them.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.