• other-post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both! lol

I feed Tiggy twice a day with wet food (one pouch per meal, a maximum of three are recommended for cats of her size) then I leave dry food out for her, next to her water bowl, in case she gets hungry in the day.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I voted timed meal, I feel twice a day.
Velvet is a rather dainty little nibbler, so I suppose in that way she ends up grazing though the day. She will eat a substantial amount when she is first fed, then come back periodically for bites.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Beeper is on a pretty good schedule: wet in the morning, dry at night. Unless she demands food during the day, in which case we usually cave and give her more wet.

I give Scully a can of wet food in the morning, but free feed dry all day, because I want her to eat as much as she needs for her babies. She's finally starting to look more like a cat and less like a skeleton.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Very strict timed feedings...wet at 6AM, 6PM, and a Tablespoon of kibble and a dental chew before bedtime. Assumpta cannot free-feed at all (and gained almost seven pounds in less than six months that way). We have to keep any dry food securely locked up or she'll eat herself sick over and over again (she'll open latched cupboards and tupperware containers and chew through bags to get to the food...as yet, she has NOT learned how to open cans, but at this point, I would not be the least bit surprised to come home and find empty Wellness cans all over the house :roll: )

·
Registered
43 Posts
I voted for both. :) Bella & Sable each get 2 wet meals a day (once at 8am and once at 6pm). I also leave out a small bowl of dry food next to their water dish, which they pick at throughout the day when hungry.

Beth

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I put out dry twice a day..

Sometimes they eat it all at once, other times.. a little throughout the day.. I try the times.. but sometimes they just don't want food when i put it down.. so since it's dry, i leave it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just noticed this thread was here :lol:

I have a question for those who do timed meals. I try to feed my 10 cats at 7am & 7pm. The problem is, I also have 3 dogs and a bunch of other pets and fosters that need to be fed. I am normally not over a 1/2 hour late for the cats feeding. Is that okay to be that late?

It is SO hard for timed feedings for me, because my oldest cat is on an only-wet diet, and she gets BioSuperFood for her skin allergies

Abhay

·
Registered
166 Posts
Gudewife: my border collie is like that. She has to be on an extremely strict feed schedule, with small portions, or she'd eat everything in sight. :(

My parents cats have always been free-fed dry food, and neither one of them are a smidge overweight, both very lean. One gets wet food at night, the other would but refuses to eat it. :roll: My kitty here, he gets dry food all the time and wet food twice a day, when I feed the bf's dog. If he starts getting chubby I'll remove the free-feeding. :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Strictly proportioned timed feedings. Punky's been fighting a weight problem and she'll forever have "food issues" because she was a stray for quite awhile before I adopted her. Elly hasn't had weight issues, but I'm confident my system will keep her from ever developing any.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a question for those who do timed meals. I try to feed my 10 cats at 7am & 7pm. The problem is, I also have 3 dogs and a bunch of other pets and fosters that need to be fed. I am normally not over a 1/2 hour late for the cats feeding. Is that okay to be that late?
I would think that your animals should be okay if you are sometimes 30 mins late feeding them.

We too feed Malcolm every 12 hours. He was a rescued kitty and he was a big cat when we got him but he was happy to see food.....we free feed him dry food for 6 months (I didn't have this forum then!!)and now he is fat 8O But he is on a vet supervised diet now. He has a hard time with the fact that the new kitten is always being feed (in another room of course) He definitly has some food issues :?

So I voted for timed feedings of course!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spittles said:
I am normally not over a 1/2 hour late for the cats feeding. Is that okay to be that late?
Spittles, i feed my cat every 12 hours, 8 30 in the mornin and 8 30 at night, sumtimes(because it's the summer :wink: ) i'll wake up 30-45 minutes late, or my cat bill will just wake me up lol, Bill doesn't seem to have a problem with it, he eats normal. So i really don't think your cats will have a problem with it :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I feed mine 1/4 can in the morning and 1/4 can in the evening. Free freed dry all day.

I try to do it everyday at the same time, but sometimes my schedule puts it back or early by several hours. He doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I was strictly free feeding dry food until my cat developed allergies possibly from the Science Diet I was feeding him. Now he's on a premium canned (Wellness). He's now getting fed in the a.m. and p.m.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Timed feedings/ wet only for both kitties.

I feed them at 7am, 5pm, and before I go to bed, like around 10. I do it three times because they dont eat much at one sitting, Stix mostly just licks the gravy off of his food and eats the meat later. This way they eat about one can each every day.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Basically I free-feed them dry during the day, but I do measure out an amount in the morning and won't give them more if they eat it all. They nibble a little at a time anyway. They also get a pouch of soft every morning which they share - Jazz seems to eat the meat and Otis just licks up the gravy... I tried switching them to a soft diet, but decided to stop on the vets advice when Otis decided to stop eating soft food completely...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts