Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some feedback here. My friend has been trapping sick feral cats, getting then vet treatment and sterilization and releasing them. She took 4 of them into her house. Despite treatment, one still has chronic bloody diarrhea, but the others seems much better.
My question is - can my healthy, fully vaccinated cat catch anything that she might have carried in on her clothes/skin, when she comes to visit? Or would his vaccinations protect him? How long would bacteria and viruses live on her clothing?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
There are many contagious and potentially fatal deseases, such like FIV, FIP, FeLv, that a stray may carry. And I strongly doubt that the ferals your friend brings in have these vaccined (also the vaccines for these desease have been proven to be not so effective). She/he may not even ask the vet to check these deseases due to financial concerns.

If I were you, I would ask your friend about this. And I would NEVER let my own cat have any interaction with the ferals, or use items (litterbox, food dish, or even toys) that have been used by the ferals.

PS: Sorry I read your post again. So your cats do not live under the same roof with the ferals? Then it should be fine. These deseases are usually not transferred via skin contacts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks - you are right - the cats do not liver under the same roof. My worry is more about disease that my friend could bring in on her skin or clothing (because my cat is super cuddly and asks to be picked up by every single person who walks though my front door!). So, with him cuddling into her clothes and rubbing against her skin, I wondered if he could catch something that she inadvertently brought over....

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'm pretty OCD about that stuff...so I would probably ask her to change and make her sanitize her hands (and all exposed skin). It's what I do whenever I pet a strange cat that lives on the streets or owners seem questionable about vaccines.. Sanitize my hands and change my clothes (straight into the washer) when I get home before I touch my own guys.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, I wouldn't ask my friends to change or wash hands if they want to pet my cats. It sounds kinda impolite to me. But it's just personal take. Maybe you and your friend are ok with it :)

To my knowledge, there is no sever/fatal deseases that could be carried on the cloth and then transfer to your cats. But there is a possibilty with flea/tick/worm sacks. Those are annoying but treatable. So if you are very concerned, you do need to talk to your friend about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts