Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background: I have a black and white (looks like a 'tuxedo' cat but I don't know if that's what he is) 2 year old. Got him very young (maybe two months?) from a local shelter. He had been neutered by the shelter already. He has all his claws and I'm against getting any of them removed.

Now that you know the background: I think I have the most bizarre cat in the world. I am more of a dog person and always believed cats were boring loners. This little guy has the soul of a dog trapped in a cat's body. He's fiercely loyal. Waits by the door for me to come home. Nearly always insists on being in the same room as me (occasionally he will wander off to nap a cabinet or under the couch). He is extremely playful. He likes to chase after my pant legs and if I'm on the computer for an extended period of time he will start nipping at my shins until I start playing with him with one of those fishing pole style toys. The attention can get a little annoying on occasion (never thought I'd say that about a cat!) but he's lovable so I don't mind too much.

The question comes here: He hates other people. He hisses and spits. He scurries around avoids them. I'm worried he might bite someone. Also worried he will never get along with additional pets or children. Anyone else had an experience like this?

more info: I'm concerned about the biting because I saw the extent of what he could do at the vet. When I got him he was sick and there were several vet trips early on. Finally got him straightened out after a few weeks. He never put up a bit fight about it. When he went for his one year checkup he was vicious. Hissing. Claws out. Making almost a growling sound. After the vet spent 15 minutes trying to get him accustomed to his presence the vet advised I should leave the room for the examination. I could hear the cat from the waiting area. The vet came out five minutes later with a bandage on his hand and said he was unable to perform the examination. He advised coming in once every three years unless there was a problem (as opposed to every year) and said next time I should call ahead a couple days and get a tranquilizer. See what I'm saying? Friendliest mean cat ever!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome! ...it seems to me that your cat is sort of like a one-person-pet. The other people he hisses/spits at, they are visiting guests and don't live there? It could very well be that he recognizes they aren't part of the household and he is reacting naturally to his 'territory' being encroached upon. He knows visually that they aren't 'usual', also they sound different and most importantly, they SMELL different. If they have pets of their own (cats/dogs) your cat could smell those pets on their clothes and react that way.

I have always been an 'animal person' and been able to approach and handle most pets. Friends of ours have a blind dog who HATES me! Well, he doesn't hate me, but he knows I smell like cats and when he smells me (cats) he barks and growls. He will even bark/growl when he hears my voice, because he knows it is me (cats).

I don't think you finding your cat to be dog-like is very unusual...but that is probably because most of my own cats are very similar. I bet you spend a lot of time interacting with your kitty like I do with my own. Cats WILL be aloof and unaproachable if they aren't handled and interacted with. Guests to our home always marvel that our cats (currently at 8, have had up to 12):
Know their own name.
Come as a group when called as a group.
Come individually when called by name. (always the correct cat whose name I called)
Play and interact with us.
Know some commands, both verbal and visual hand signs.
Listen and obey when they are somewhere they shouldn't be.

You can get your cat accustomed to visitors by de-sensitizing him and having people over often, until he becomes comfortable. We had a kitty who would hide under the bed and stay hidden for 2hrs after guests left. When we moved here, we befriended two neighbors and had them over often, like several nights each week. Mousie surprised my husband and I by comeing out and being social. For 7yrs she would hide under the bed. After we began having people over often, she would not hide and was very comfortable around them. Sometimes, it just takes time, I guess.
As to your kitty getting very defensive for his exam, I think perhaps the tranquilizer would be safer for the staff and the kitty. I took in a feral who collapsed on my back patio in the summer of 2007. The vet used a tranq to imobilize him for the exam because he struggled and bit the arm of a tech. After 6wks, he was not improving so I decided to euth (to release him from his failing body) and the day before, I picked up a tablet to give him 30min before the euth appointment, it did help him to go peacefully and with less stress.

Anyhow, I seem to have written a novel. :oops: Welcome, and post pics of your tuxxy if you can!
Heidi

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Arianwen is good with most people she doesn't know. But Sam (R.I.P.) was scared of strangers. He wasn't aggressive, but he would hide till I told him the guest was a friend. He would come out then, and introduce himself.

Welcome to Cat Forum, chestertime!
Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the vet visit at all. Many, very sweet cat turn into vicious maniacs at the vet. You may also want to try a different vet next time. Nothing against him but some just have a better way with cat and your cat may like another vet better too!
As for visitors, it's really normal for a cat that isn't used to a lot of company to be fearful. That can manifest itself in either hiding or being aggressive. As Heidi suggested, making sure he's exposed to as many people as you can should help. When they do come over, they should only pay attention to him if he comes to them first and then don't fuss too much. I would also have them give him his favorite treats. Most likely, before you know it, he'll be okay with them. Food is almost always the key! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the input. I will try to introduce him to visitors more frequently. For those that asked, here he is at about 8mo:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
...Guests to our home always marvel that our cats (currently at 8, have had up to 12):
Know their own name.
Come as a group when called as a group.
Come individually when called by name. (always the correct cat whose name I called)
Play and interact with us.
Know some commands, both verbal and visual hand signs.
Listen and obey when they are somewhere they shouldn't be.
Welcome, chestertime! Your guy is a cutie!! :luv

And, Heidi, I love what you wrote!! Sometimes I just swell with pride when I think about how cool cats really are - especially considering that they are actually not really very domesticated, yet so smart and willing to meet us halfway if we put out the effort to understand and communicate with them...

Fran

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Oh my goondess your little man is soooo cute. Most of my kitties run when new people come to my house. We have some friends that have come over often enough that the kids will come out to see them.

One time I took Taz to a new vet in our regular office. She was not good with cats, and wouldn't even let me hold me during the exam. He freaked while she tried to touch him. He's never had that problem bfore, or since. You might want to try a different vet. Or, you might just try taking him to the vet's office, walk in and sit in the waiting room, give a treat or two, and then leave. Maybe he will make happier memories for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts