Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine had big bag of chicken wings in his deep freeze, apparently they have been there for about 2 years now. I took them to feed to my cats. I believe they are okay, they've been frozen the whole time, but just want to make sure that the age isn't going to cause problems...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I should have specified, they are just plain chicken, nothing else. I've decided to toss them, I can't even be sure they were frozen the entire time either. Not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would have given them to my cats, and let them decide, but I guess it's to late now!

Tonight's meal for the farm cats/Tuesday's meal for calf barn cats, was/is a chicken that has been at the bottom of the freezer for about two years, I think I got it, when I first started raw feeding:) A bit freezer burnt but they sure didn't mind. Just bad tasting to us humans.

I went "freezer diving" in the cats meat freezer a few days ago...first off because I wanted to use the older meat. and also because whole chickens went up $0.50 a pound this week! I'm hoping they just marked them up because of Easter, and they assumed they could get away with it, without most people realizing the rise in price. I don't know what I'll do for bone-in meals for the rest of the week though...that was the last bone-in chicken I had!

·
Registered
709 Posts
We often get offered freezer burnt meat, for free. A 10y/o turkey once too! LOL We used them all. Old, freezer burnt, old and freezer burnt. The reason I am okay with doing this, is the bulk of their diet is fresh. A little older/frozen meat isn't going to hurt them.. the only reason PEOPLE don't eat it is because, as furryfriends says, it tastes different and is tougher. My cats don't care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts